General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

'92 Accord...electrical or transmission issue??

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2012, 08:14 AM
Default '92 Accord...electrical or transmission issue??

1992 Honda Accord with 104,000 miles automatic transmission..was my mom's car and has been consistently maintained and serviced and gently driven!!The car performs well until...recently when it starting revving up and the D4 light stayed on even when I was in reverse. Idling high and Drove like the car was in high gear. Mechanic #1 checked the gear position switch and checked connection at Trans ECM. After unplugging and re-pluging in connector system functioned properly. And it did for about one week. then we were back to the same problem and it was clear that the car was not shifiting like it should. Mechanic #2
didn't provide much feedback: he emphatically stated that it was a transmission problem and that the trans would absolutely need to be rebuilt: price quote: $3500 including labor...as much as I like this car, I don't want to put in $3500. Mechanic #3 is a Hondo maven..and he says it might not be a transmission problem..this is what he says: checked for codes; found none. reset Transmission computer by removing power to it resulting in the car running better and D4 light if off. He advises that we Wait & See if problem happens again..he suspects a possible electrical problem. Car does drive better and the D4 light remains off but when I get on the freeway the car seems stressed and noisy and when I deaccelerate, it's noisy. I am waiting for the other foot to drop. Anybody out there got any hunches? Thanks all

Old 11-06-2012, 06:42 AM

The D4 light would come on for 2 seconds at initial ignition while the TCM or transmission control module is performing self test. If any error is detected, the light would stay on and/or blink while the vehicle is running. Retrieve the trouble code by bridging the service check connector on the TCM and countting the blinking of the D4 light. If no trouble codes can be retrieved, there is a possibility the TCM is faulty.this would also explain why resetting the computer worked but probably temporarily. you can find a TCM for 75-175 dollars refurbished or used from a car yard search here for a local yard http://www.car-part.com/ you can easily install the TCM yourself it just plugs rite in just disconnect the battery first here is a diy video

Last edited by lowlife9; 11-06-2012 at 07:10 AM.