General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

92 Honda Accord fuel pump and ???

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2009, 04:55 PM
Question 92 Honda Accord fuel pump and ???

Hi all,

I'm new to the forum but see some good information added - thanks to all of you for the insight!

I have a 92 Accord with about 150K miles. It has intermittently had a starting and immediately dieing problem. I have done most of the things suggested in the forum (changed EFI Main Relay and fuel filter), and have decided that the fuel pump simply is not working part of the time.

I decided to run the can mostly out of fuel so it would be easier to drop the tank, anyway - it started missing badly coming down from Donner pass - I would loose engine power (I think because it was fuel starved) but momentum kept the motor running.

The check engine light came on and the D4 light began blinking on the way back. I believe those could both be caused by a failing fuel pump - and the engine sensing an inadequate fuel supply coming in.

(Of course I could be wrong!)

If that was it, I would simply change the pump and see if the problem was fixed.

BUT, the tach and speedometer both began periodically dropping to zero, then coming back up during the drive - this did not coincide with the engine sputtering however.

What I hope to hear is whether these symptoms could all be caused by a ground short in a wire, or if these are likely two separate problems.

Thanks for any insight - before I buy a fuelpump.

Last edited by Mosquito Guy; 07-17-2009 at 11:27 PM. Reason: clarify work I have done and what the symptoms are
Old 07-19-2009, 02:31 AM
Super Moderator

welcome to the forum. I beleive there is one problem that is causing the rest to come up. Seems you have done a good trouble shooting system already. Did you check to see what your fuel pressure at the rail was before you change your fuel pump, and when you turn your key on to ign, II do you hear the fuel pump go on momentary ( listen with the gas cap off ) may need 2 people

Old 07-22-2009, 10:26 PM
Default Thanks for the suggestion

Hi Acmech52,

Thanks for the advice.

I will check to see if the rail is pressurized next time the car won't start.

I guess my main concern is that there may be a ground short or some other electrical problem causing all the symptoms including the fuel pump not working properly. But other things like the radio don't stop working so I know it's not a grounding problem at the battery.

If it's the fuel pump, I can change that fairly easily with the fuel low, but tracing a possible electrical problem is much more difficult for me. I just don't want to go to the time and expense of changing the fuel pump if it won't solve the problem(s).

Mosquito Guy