General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

97 Odyssey Oil Pressure Light -- Help Please!

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2010, 10:28 PM
Default 97 Odyssey Oil Pressure Light -- Help Please!

I have 97 Odyssey. 253k miles. Runs perfect until now.

Oil pressure light recently began flickering at idle when car is at running temp. Discovered that oil filter was a tad loose--so tightening helped a bit. Light goes off immediately when engine runs up to speed.

Is this an oil pump problem?
Oil sender problem?
Or what?

And where the heck is the oil sender on this engine?
Hidden above the oil filter possibly? Can't find it--and I know what they look like.

What should I work through/check before tackling the oil pump?

And is it common for oil pumps on this model engine to fail?

Any advice is welcome... I need to fix this in a couple days or so.

Also... are factory manuals available? And where? How much?

Thanks.

ST

Old 12-15-2010, 12:13 AM
Super Moderator

welcome to the forum. oil pressure switch above the oil filter housing. oil pump could be worn with the high milage. have you tried a little heavier oil from what you are currently using. pump is not failed, just worn out.

Old 12-15-2010, 10:46 AM

No, I haven't tried using a heavier oil yet.
I am using 10/40, and will bump it to 10/50 now.

Thanks for the sender info though.

I did not think that the pump was completely shot. None of the Honda mechanics I talked to ever saw a Honda oil pump go out--so I was thinking it was a bad/loose/damaged sender. I did have a front end collision with this car a few weeks ago, and the shock could have loosened the electrical a tad (I also got a hefty payout which covered having the whole car fixed, not just the bumper damage. lol!).

So I am going to check the sender and change the oil filter and check the connections around it today and give it a shot. If this does not do the trick, I'm going to flush the engine and then change the oil with some heavier stuff--and then also use some Lucas oil stabilizer along with it.

It is a high-mileage car, but it passes smog every time, does not burn oil, does not leak oil, does not emmit smoke, and still goes up a grade over 55 mph when I want it do. The only thing I have had to do is change the brake rotors and pads, and also drop the trans pan once.

Thanks for the info.

ST

Old 12-15-2010, 05:57 PM

Flushed and changed the oil today. Put in 20/50, and some Lucas oil stabilizer. This seems to have made an improvement. Oil light only flickers when I am nearly stopped, and then goes quickly out.

It seems that the oil pump is beyond spec. When the engine slows down, backlash kicks in and there is a drop in pressure most likely.

Will put in a new pump after christmass.

ST

Old 12-22-2010, 12:32 AM

Okay... found the culprit.
It was the oil sender.

I went under the vehicle a few days ago--and there was oil dripping off the bottom of the filter despite it being tight.

Removed the filter--and found the oil sender not loose.
I pulled the rubber cap off the thing and inside was gooey with oil.
So was the electrical connection.

Had a lot of trouble removing it because the rubber cap was welded to it.
Uses a "tight space" plumbers pipe wrench on a 3/8 drive--but this did not grab hold, but it did break off the remaining rubber on the sender.

Deep socket fit over the sender and it came off easily.

Sender was gooey with oil--and I could see it was weeping from the plastic insert.

So, yes these things can go out.

Installed a new sender (do not purchase from the dealer $28 hondos--got one from a parts wholesaler for $8), and it tests just fine after some hard hot driving on the freeway.

The Honda Mechanics were correct--oil pump rarely goes out on these, thus the parts availability is scarce and expensive.

Also my battery died while the car was idle for some reason--installed a new one. Total cost of this job about $90 US hondos.

ST

Old 12-22-2010, 04:11 AM
Super Moderator

Good job on the find. Thank You for your replies to fix.

Old 12-22-2010, 07:24 AM

Good to know.