General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

99 EX V6 Intermittent Check Engine Light

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2006, 02:03 PM
Default 99 EX V6 Intermittent Check Engine Light

I have a 99 EX V6 with high miles. The check engine light is on but will go out about every two weeks for so for a day or two. I replaced the catalytic converter two years ago on the advice of a local mechanic ($1100.00) after the check engine light code indicated that the catalytic converter was below threshold. The light stayed out for about 3 or 4 months. the next check engine light had me change the bank 2 sensors. that Fix lasted about a month before the light came back on. Additionally, Honda has cleaned my throttle body twice, once under warranty at about 80,000 miles and once again at about 180,000 miles. The last time I had Honda service my car on an unrelated issue, I had them read the check engine light code and they told me that the code indicated that the converter was bad. Here's the issue. The car starts and runs fine, no funny noises or smells. I get between 26 and 28 miles per gallon routinely. I don't believe that my car's performance is indicative of afailed catalytic converter. I live in Pennsylvania and we have emissions inspections here. I was told by the Honda Service Writer that if the light was on, the inspection would fail. When I told him that I really did not want to sink another $1100.00 into another converter, he told me that there are gasoline additives that might clean the converter for me. I think that is a lot of bunk. Does anyone have any suggestions about what the problem might be with my car. I would really rather not replace it unless I absolutely have to.
Thanks