General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

99 Honda Accord Vtech V6

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2013, 02:57 PM
Default 99 Honda Accord Vtech V6

Brand new to the thread and working on cars.
Car overheated, had it towed to autoshop who told me I blew the radiator and I needed it replaced along with thermostat = $689
I decided to learn up and do it myself. Bought radiator and thermostat

I replaced radiator today, and did not touch thermostat. Took car for test run and it was fine until I began accelerating above 35mph, and it went HOT. When I would slow down/stop car cooled.
I popped hood and fans are on and does not seem to be any leaks.

Before my test drive, I was advised by a buddy to fill radiator with 1 gallon 100% Antifreeze and top the rest off with water. I bought 1 gallon 100% and the radiator was full with 1/4 of the 100% antifreeze left, therefore I did NOT put any water in there. Do you think this could cause it to over heat? Also, I was reading on here that you are suppose to "burp" the new radiator, could this also be a potential cause?

Sorry so long. Hopefully it makes sense.
-Paul

Old 11-26-2013, 04:02 AM

Ok. I spoke with some friends and they have given me a few ideas/thoughts:

Left cap off of radiator for ~2hours to dry to get air pocket(s) out of radiator. No success=Still overheats. And it did NOT allow more room for fluid in radiator.

Another question: Do Vtech V6 3.0 engine ( like mine) have a "bleeder valve"? I am guessing no since I have not been able to find it? ( Bear with me if these are all totally retarded questions, I am completely out of my element with cars)

After class I am going to attempt to replace thermostat. It looks relatively easy on the four cylinders, but of course not as easy on six cylinders like mine.

It looks like I wll be having to remove the battery, correct?
Should I drain the radiator prior to doing this? Or can I get away with keeping the hose elevated while making the swap?

Old 11-27-2013, 07:52 PM

you don't just take the cap off and let it sit you have to turn the engine on turn your cabin heater on full heat then let it warm up till the fans kick on while watching for air bubbles.the bleeder valve is not there to burp the system its purpose is to aid in filling the raidiator.and do not i repeat do not use 100% antifreeze that will not allow your cooling system to function because the water is what actually cools the car not the antifreeze.also you should only use HONDA oem fluid not store brand antifreeze
Eric the car guy has some very informative DIYs on YOUTUBE so make sure to check them out.

Last edited by lowlife9; 11-27-2013 at 09:18 PM.
Old 11-30-2013, 07:20 PM

I agree,50 50 is what should be in the system,burping air and may as well do a new thermostat ,cheap and easy.

Old 12-01-2013, 12:46 AM

i also have a question....my 99 honda accord exv6 177 on the dash....had been overheating. i changed the thermo and on test drive it overheated again..found out i had a leaking radiator!! previously i had an accident in it and had the front redone (hood, bumper, radiator, condenser, fans, airbox) and when changing the radiator i noticed the dumbass put in a 2.3 radiator and condensor!!! SO i bought an Denso radiator and new fans HERES THE PROBLEM..... on the new Denzo radiator there is a pipe that i have no ideal what it goes to!!! it is listed at #10 and named the Pipe C ATF

can someone please help this newbie diyer so i can get my baby back up and running!!!

THANKS

Old 12-01-2013, 10:14 AM

I couldn't get the pic to load but sounds like the line to the trans cooler.

Old 12-01-2013, 08:37 PM

most likely a trans cooler sometime there's also a filter all of this was explained in the video i posted which you neglected to watch first.

Old 12-02-2013, 06:34 PM

Replaced radiator and thermostat. My biggest obstacle was not having an extension for my drive socket to take off the bolt on the back side of the thermostat housing. Other than my rookie mistakes, it was a relatively smooth process.

I def should have replaced the thermostat once I had everything removed when replacing the radiator. Oh well, you live you learn.

Thanks for the feedback guys.
One more thing, I noticed if I have ac on and I am sitting idle at a light or in traffic, the temp goes up almost to H and does not begin cooling back down until I begin accelerating again. Normal?

Old 12-02-2013, 09:50 PM

Attachment 406Sorry but I've watch the video hundred times way before I join us forum (been rocking with Eric the car that way before he grew his hair out this time) but I don't think I gave enough information to get good help with this problem so here's the background......

I wrecked my car about a year ago and it was past my skill set in order to repair it. So I took it to a guy I was referred to an after about a month and a half I got the finish product or what I thought with the finished product back! I noticed that the transmission was running a little rough and that the air conditioning wasn't working and after a little under the hood research I noticed that one of the condenser pipes was broken off. About a week ago my car started running hot and I started to do research and thought it was the thermostat so I changed the thermostat. On my test run it started to run hot again! After more under the hood research I learned that I had a leak in the radiator at the seal which from what I researched is normal. So I ordered a new radiator and while I was at it ordered the condenser pipe. I pulled out the radiator and when I started swapping the fans of a notice that they didn't fit on the new radiator and to my surprise noticed that he put in the 2.3 radiator instead of the 3.0 and also that the condenser was wrong. He also rigged some of the stuff such as the return pipe and the automatic transmission cooler pipes to fit with the other radiator. So now that I have no reference of the original and I have the original parts I don't know where they go. Can someone take a picture of where the upper condenser pipe goes around the radiator and which direction do the automatic transmission cooler lines go that would help me complete this project!!!! Thanks in advance and if I ever meet you in person IOU a couple of beers!!!

Attached Thumbnails 99 Honda Accord Vtech V6-image.jpg  
Old 12-27-2013, 10:19 PM
Thumbs up cool Video

Great Video post by Lowlife9 cool..!

Quick Reply: 99 Honda Accord Vtech V6