General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Alternator Overhauled - Battery Light Still On

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2018, 05:44 AM
Post Alternator Overhauled - Battery Light Still On

Hi I am new to this forum and would like to ask if anyone can help me with my problem Honda Stream RHD Auto 2.0L 2002. The car is a import from Japan and has been converted to LHD. I have had it about 4 years without any problems. Last September the battery light was flickering and the battery went flat, I had it checked and the battery failed a drop test so I replaced it. Everything was good until about 3 months ago. The car was ticking over while I waited for my son to come from school, aircon running etc and it stopped. Flat battery again. My local garage diagnosed alternator and proceeded to overhaul it because hard to get new Mitsubushi brand alternators here. Collected car all good charging and running fine. Then two weeks ago battery light started to flicker again so I went to a different garage to check the charge system, they said alternator fault and recommended that it was taken off and tested. It passed the bench test, the battery was charged and alternator re-fitted. Everthing ok for 5 mins showing 14.5 v charge, then it suddenly dropped to 12.4v and continued to drop down to 11.9v. Voltages taken at battery and also at alternator. Same reading at b post on alternator as battery. Since then they have checked earths and re-tested alternator fields for open circuits and continuity, rectifier, regulator and charging wiring system and can't find any faults. Evertime car is started from cold it shows normal charge but after 3-5 mins it drops to low 12.2 volts at tickover and at 2000rpm it is 13.5v. no load. With aircon on it drops to 12.2v but as it get hotter, drops to 11.2v at tickover and only manages 12.2v at 2000rpm. I have had lots of suggestions about ELD being problem and ECM being issue. Because alternator passed all electrical and continuity tests I am assuming it is ok, I have tried a different battery and have same result. Originally the Battery light went out when alternator was replaced but since then, everytime it has been refitted, the batter light stays on even though the test meter across the battery is showing charge. Unfortunately beacuse it is not a Honda model which is normally sold in this country Honda will not look at it and I have to use non Honda technicians. Does anyone have a suggestion I can try or has anyone had the same problem.. I would appreciate any technical help.

Old 06-25-2018, 05:57 PM
Super Moderator

welcome to the forum. possible ecm.