General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

carb help???

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2008, 11:21 PM
Default carb help???

Hey Guys,

I have a 1989 Honda Accord, with a carb. New plugs, wires, cap, rotor, fuel filters. It runs good, idles perfect, at HWY speeds its fine. But in town in the RPM range of about 1700-2600 it has a "dead spot"... Just like you are letting your foot off the gas, but you arent.... Does this sound like a carb problem? Vacume leak? Im racking my brain and cant figure it out. I just bought the car and it was broke down when I bought it(clutch) So I didnt know the problem til I got it fixed. Can someone please give me some tips? Also where can I find the carb specs for the carb on the car? The manual doesnt have any of that kind of stuff....

Thanks in advance..

Old 05-27-2008, 02:45 AM
Super Moderator
Default RE: carb help???

possible accelerator plunger, could be a bit worn, normally made of rubber or leather.

Old 05-27-2008, 02:54 AM

Accelerator pump seems to work... I looked down the carb with a light and its spraying gas when you open the throttle. It only does it after you are driving, and when you get into the 1800-2600 RPM range....

Old 08-27-2008, 09:21 PM

Mechanics that know how to fix Carbs are very hard to find now-a-days.

My advise to you is there probably is a problem with the off-idle circuit in the carb body. The carb has several circuits in which the fuel flows thru different channels and tubes molded into the carb body.

Get the complete rebuild kit for the carb, try this only if you have a single carb, if it is a dual carb setup (some hondas have this) forget about rebuilding it because it has to be synced up correctly and is very difficult to do. If it is a single carb, get the rebuild kit and OEM manual from Helm Books (http://www.helminc.com/helm/homepage...mp;startPage=1) and a small squirt bottlewith a fine tip.

Take apart the carb very careful and in a clean area and remove all jets, then use the squirt bottle to shoot water into all the passages and hole in the carb body, you will probably find one that is clogged and causing your problem. Use high compressed air and solvents to dislodge and clean out the blockage.

Reassemble with all rebuild parts including new jets and make the adjustments to the float.

It's difficult but not impossible with some patience and time.

Good Luck and let us know how you did!!!