General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Chipped paint- 4 day old 2018 CRV

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2017, 06:53 AM
Unhappy Chipped paint- 4 day old 2018 CRV

Hey Everyone!

A few days ago... I was SO HAPPY to drive off of the lot with my dream car... a brand new 2018 CR-V EX. This is my first brand new car I have ever purchase and I am truly in awe by its beauty, power, and really just everything.

However, horror has struck!

Yesterday, after 4 days of ownership, I took my car to the car wash for a quick rinse, nothing fancy. I live in Pennsylvania and she’s white, so just wanted to wash off any of the cinders they had used to clear snow. As I was rinsing the hood of with the soap, I ran the wand past what I thought was a speck of dirt. To my horro, a piece of paint chipped off the size of a pencil eraser. I panicked and talked to my dealer. They said I could either buy the touch up paint and do it myself, which would cost about 15$ and prevent rust and more flaking but would not look like new... or I could take it to the dealer and they could repaint the entire hood to the tune of $350. I am so discouraged that in order to have a brand new car again I’m going to have to pay 350 before my first payment is ever due. I know Honda does not cover normal “wear and tear” however, after driving my car to work two times I already have a chip in my paint down to the metal. I am so sad and can’t help but feel that there had to be a defect in the paint because this has never happened to me before (which Honda is known for their notorious paint, just not in current models because THERE IS NO WAY THEY SHOULD BE HAVING PROBLEMS ALREADY!). Additionally, I feel as though if I kept up at this pace and a pencil eraser chip of paint came out of my hood every 4 days, there will be no paint left on the hood after a year, thus this not being normal wear and tear and instead a defect.

If anyone has advice on how to approach this, please let me know. I am happy to get any feedback.

Attached Thumbnails Chipped paint- 4 day old 2018 CRV-d34862c9-f7f1-4546-82ed-a4b5ddc088e5.jpeg   Chipped paint- 4 day old 2018 CRV-d8acfb81-3373-491a-9ed4-431e5aef2dfe.jpeg  
Old 12-21-2017, 04:04 AM
Super Moderator

welcome to the forum. document the first chip, and every , chip there after, picture, date, milage, when it occured, car wash, driving, etc. also when you take it to the dealer and what there fix or answer is, if this continues to occur you may have a claim to have the entire car repainted due to poor base paint. also write a american honda your situation and what your dealer has stated. and see if they may have a solution. take pictures of each pant chip with your documents. make sure the chips are not from rock chip off the road. i would also get the touch up paint and cover the chip up and take a picture. before and after. put a ruler on each chip you take a picture off.

Old 12-24-2017, 10:21 AM

Welcome in,I'm a bit of an expert on rock chips ,I developed a cure for the problem myself. Buy the touch up paint and fill the chip let it dry for 24 hrs. And keep applying until the chip is full to overflowing, wait another 24 hrs. Then take rag t shirt piece dip it in lacquer thinner and stretch it over a credit card,use the edge to span the chip and with a back and forth motion remove the excess paint.it may take a few times but it works,when I do this process I cannot find the repair .i have been using this method for years ,good luck,if you have questions just ask.hope this is the last chip you have to deal with.