General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Civic 2003 oil and water pumps

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2024, 01:32 PM
Default Civic 2003 oil and water pumps

Hello, I am new to this forums and I wanted to ask for advice about replacing the oil and water pumps

The car (civic 2003 LX 1.7L) was leaking oil. I replace the valve cover gasket and noticed that there was still a leak. So tracing the problem I figured that the O-ring on the oil pump was leaking.
Well I've taken apart both and I was wondering if it was ok to reuse them and reseal everything or should I buy new ones. The car has 280 000 km.

The car was never touched by anyone other than the dealership (the car was bought from the dealership in 2002) and as I was taking everything apart I noticed that everything was covered in Honda bound. The camshaft and crankshaft seals had Honda bound on top of them and it looked like there was so much of that that a leak created a bubble of oil right next to the oil ring part of the oil pump. Also I noticed that the outer side of the seal part for the oil pump was scratched and that made me wonder if I should change it. I include some photos of reference and I would appreciate any suggestions.

I bought the kit from fel pro, and I am about to change the camshaft seal. Crankshaft seal, the water pump rubber seal, the oil pump O-ring, the timing belt with the tensioner and the pulley, and the oil pan gasket seal.
But I am not sure if I should replace the oil and water pumps too. Specially because Im also not sure on what brand would I buy them from (since buying it from the dealership will be extremely costly here in México).

Here is how it looked liked at first (you can see the oil bubble there), this made me think the problem was in the seal of the oil pump.

HEre is where I see the scratch marks, probably when years ago the dealership changed the seals. They seem to be only on the outer side away from where the seal sits, but I wonder if they are bad enough to change the oil pump completely.

In these last 2 picture you can see that both cam and crankshaft seals are covered with Honda bound.
from my understanding that is not necessary.

Last edited by Estebanego; 03-03-2024 at 04:13 PM.
Old 03-03-2024, 03:47 PM

Never reuse seals.
A dealer did that goop job? Was that their attempt to fix something?

Old 03-03-2024, 03:52 PM

Originally Posted by grcauto
Never reuse seals.
A dealer did that goop job? Was that their attempt to fix something?
Yes, the dealership. Apparently (because this is a relative's car), after 2 years of having it, when he took it to a normal service they told him it needed some other "things" done. He never asked what exactly. And ended up paying 90k (in mexican pesos, but still a lot because it was like 40% of what the car originally cost). That was in 2005 approx. So in 2020 it started leaking.

And sorry, maybe I didn't explain it correctly.
I bought new seals for all of this, the camshaft and crankshaft seals. The water pump rubber ring, the oil pump o ring. All from fel pro.

What I wasn't sure was if it was necessary to buy a new oil and water pumps or just replace all old seals with the fel pro new ones.

Last edited by Estebanego; 03-03-2024 at 04:08 PM.
Old 03-04-2024, 07:42 AM

Originally Posted by Estebanego

What I wasn't sure was if it was necessary to buy a new oil and water pumps or just replace all old seals with the fel pro new ones.
Judgement call.I would replace them if it were me.

Old 03-04-2024, 08:25 AM

Originally Posted by grcauto
Judgement call.I would replace them if it were me.
Do you think that buying them from Autozone would be fine? They tell me they have a 1 year warranty.

Old 03-04-2024, 04:57 PM

Originally Posted by Estebanego
Do you think that buying them from Autozone would be fine? They tell me they have a 1 year warranty.
They are fine.