General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

DVD RES Buzzes and whines

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2006, 10:42 PM
Default DVD RES Buzzes and whines

I'm hoping someone can shed some light on a problem I'm having with a 2002 Odyssey Rear Entertainment System (RES). After a period of time, usually about 30 minutes, the sound from boththe wireless headphones and the wired headphone jacks goes to a loudbuzzing whine with no real sound from the DVD (or any other program source, for that matter.) DVD soundon the speakers, both front and rear,is still OK. I really hope it is something simple, as the thought of spending $1-2K on a replacement RES is frightning but may be necessary to prevent Bob the Builder overload!

Thanks,
Zenerdog

Old 11-30-2006, 06:02 PM
Default RE: DVD RES Buzzes and whines

Sounds to me like a faulty DVD player or a faulty audio unit.
If the sound occurs on radio/cd also I'd say it's a bad audio unit.
As long as yours using Honda factory headphones.Ive seen aftermarket brands cause problems.

Old 11-30-2006, 11:52 PM
Default RE: DVD RES Buzzes and whines

I am using Honda factory headphones so that probably isn't the problem. When the problem happens, it affects both the wireless headphones and any normal headphones plugged into the 3rd row audio jacks, so all rear seat audio has the problem (but not the speakers.) The buzzing completely drowns out or possibly replaces the audio program to the RES.

However, I have noticed lately that when the buzzing starts, I can barely hear it on the normal speakers. At first, I thought one of my kids left the wireless headphones on, but this prooved to be wrong.

My current theory is that the main unit is causing the problem, since I can hear the faint buzzing even when the RES power is shut off. I also think itmay havesomething to do with heat, since it seems to work longer now that the weather has moderated, but I can't say for sure yet. Eventually it does fail, and power-cycling does not fix the problem. Only an extended OFF condition, like a McDonalds stop, will restore the RES audio.