General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Front End damage repair question

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2023, 05:49 PM
Default Front End damage repair question

My son hit into a car in front of him on an entrance ramp....everyone was going, then stopped and he didn't brake in time. Airbag on his car went off. Didn't look like much damage to bumper. Took out airbag and put in a used one just to get it out of way and horn working. As summer approached, I realized that A/C was not working…so, took panel off from above bumper/radiator and see cross member bent in and pushed a little against A/C Condenser. Not sure I want to bring it to an Auto Body shop as they'll want to pull it straight and do a lot more work. All I want to do is pull it enough to be able to replace the Condenser and get the A/C working again. Radiator seems fine, no leaks....and we've been driving it since January. I was thinking of using some long heavy duty ratchet straps (3000+lb rating)...creating a 'V' on the cross bar and connecting it to something like a telephone pole...and giving it some gas going backward i short abrupt movements...to just pull it a little outward. Hence, wanted to get some feedback / thoughts on that? or would an Auto Body shop do the basic thing I'm asking for somewhat cheaply? Last time I spoke to an auto body shop about the airbag...they talked about not letting it leave their shop for safety reasons... and would want to replace the airbag, sensor(s) and module that records the crash data. They did not see the car to evaluate, just a discussion. Hence, I'm wary that they'll want to do all that and straighten the bar out flat. Hence, looking for a cheap alternative...other than driving it as is without the A/C (which isn't bad, but the defroster doesn't do well without A/C). Thanks for any response in advance.

Old 06-30-2023, 10:13 PM

What are we working on? If the impact bar is bent he hit it hard. Better to use a come along and pull it out. The SRS will not be fixed without the module and crash sensor replacement plus programing.

Old 07-01-2023, 05:42 AM

It's a 2011 Honda Accord Coupe