General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Help!!!

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2006, 04:32 PM
Default Help!!!

Hi,Newguy here,I have a problem with my 1991 honda accord,it won't start in hot weather.This started last year when the temp went into the 90's,i would have to take off the gas cap and stick a screw driver in it and wait between 5m to 1 hour.On Monday last week the temp was in the 80's and wouldn't start,waited over a hour with a screw driver sticking out till if finally started,parked it since and i miss her!!!Does anyone know whats the problem???Thanks.

Old 07-10-2006, 05:30 PM
Default RE: Help!!!

Hmm...

I am not sure what you mean by "stick a screw driver in it" but I will relate my problems with hot weather. I suspect the fuel pump. Fuel pumps operate hot but are cooled ny the gas in the tank (neat design feature huh?) Driving with dirty gas will clog your fuel filter. The pump works hard and may or may not fail. If it doesn't fail, it may start to work intermittently. My car started missing when it was hot.

It is an easy thing to check. There is always a pressure port on fuel injected cars. All you need is a pressure guage. Your chilton or hays manual should tell you the process.

Good luck and you might want to explain "put a screwdriver in it" so we can help you better.

For a car to start it needs spark and fuel. It is easy to check for both. If a car has both it WILL start although it may not run great. (It also need to be timed but if you haven't messed with the distributor....)

gschoep at Ya*hoo