General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Help my boosted integra idles up and down

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2011, 05:01 PM
Default Help my boosted integra idles up and down

My 96 Integra starts up fine and idles okay at first,but when it starts to warm up a little it starts to pulsate up and down and if I don't give it gas sometime it will die on me. Is there a idle control valve on this thing or what. It's chipped for 10lbs of boost, the co2 sensor is on a close loop, no check engine light so I can't pull codes

Old 11-15-2011, 09:01 AM

The idle air control valve can be cleaned, but cleaning it does not always make it work properly. Try cleaning it before purchasing a new one -- if the cleaning doesn't take, that means there is something wrong with the electronics inside the valve, and no amount of cleaning will make it work again.Here is what to do,

1 Turn off the engine and open the hood. Locate the idle air control valve in the center of the engine, near the firewall. The engine sits sideways in the engine compartment, so that side is considered the passenger side, even though it is against the firewall, instead of the passenger fender. Unplug the wiring harness connector by pulling the tabs out and pulling the connector off the idle air valve. Unbolt the two retaining screws and lift the idle air valve off the engine.

2 Spray the pintle with carburetor cleaner. The pintle is the metal piece that sticks out of the body, and is usually covered with black carbon from the engine. Wipe the pintle down with rags. Be sure that no carburetor cleaner gets into the electrical part of the connector and where the pintle goes into the body of the valve.

Dry the pintle off completely. Reinstall the idle air control valve and tighten the bolts firmly. Plug in the wiring harness connector.

Hope this helps

Old 11-16-2011, 02:55 AM
Super Moderator

Also ck your egr vlv, besure it is clean.

Old 11-17-2011, 08:54 AM

Egr vlv ????

Old 11-18-2011, 03:30 AM
Super Moderator

exhaust gas recirculation valve. allows some of the exhaust gas back into the intake to prevent knocking, if sticky or dirty will cause idle to cycle up and down. if it is clean, you have eliminated 1 possible cause of idle up and down.