General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Help! Squealing noise when clutch is pressed!

Old 11-27-2018, 01:57 PM
Default Help! Squealing noise when clutch is pressed!

2003 Civic DX.
Whenever I engage the clutch, a squealing noise seems to come from the engine bay. I was in the drive thru in neutral, presssed the clutch to shift into first and the clutch got stuck to the floor! A terrible squeaking noise started & smoke from under the hood, almost a rubber/wire smell coming in the cabin. I immediately parked it and got some to tow me home. I started the car yesterday, still squeaking but clutch still has compression and is grabbing about 2” away from the floorboard. Any help will be greatly appreciated. I do not ride on the clutch. Or neither do I hold the clutch for 4 minutes at redlights or “pop the clutch”. Will upload a video if needed!

Old 11-27-2018, 11:32 PM
Super Moderator

welcome to the forum. check clutch cylinder fluid for proper level, if there is an adjustment in the clutch cable system, try to adjust, the squeaking sound may be from your throw out bearing.

Old 11-28-2018, 11:03 AM

Originally Posted by acmech52
welcome to the forum. check clutch cylinder fluid for proper level, if there is an adjustment in the clutch cable system, try to adjust, the squeaking sound may be from your throw out bearing.
Okay thank i will try these today. Would any of those cause the pedal to stick, and smoke with a rubber burning smell?

Old 11-28-2018, 08:24 PM
Super Moderator

if the clutch springs are getting weak, it will cause the pedal to go to the floor and stay..if the fluid is low or leaking, it would cause the pedal to go to the floor and may come back up with return spring pressure.(if there is a return spring) burning smell may be the clutch sliding and burning. if you have high milage, your clutch may be worn or release bearing worn out. or 03 age for clutch bearing to squeal..