General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Honda Accord Fuel Injector

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2013, 12:10 PM
Default Honda Accord Fuel Injector

Hello all,

I have a 1996 Honda Accord EX 2.2L VTEC 4 cylinder. I recently had an issue with one of the o rings on one of the fuel injectors crack and allowing fuel to spew. So I got new o rings and took the fuel rail off. My concern is that 3 out of 4 of the injectors has a small piece of plastic with an o ring on the manifold side of the injector, the last injector does not have this little plastic piece. I want to make it clear it is not the little filter like thing on the rail side, the piece that is missing goes into the engine.

I went to O'Reilly's and picked up a remanufactured fuel injector to replace it with because I assumed this little piece is needed. To my surprise the new injector did not have this either. After looking at pictures of these on the internet it looks like several of them are sold without this little piece on the block side.

I did find that at Advanced Auto they appear to have an injector that has this piece on it for $20 more than the others without it. So I am trying to determine if this is a required piece or is this just something uneccessary. In the picture on the left is one of the three with this piece at the top. The middle is the old one without this little piece and the far right is the new one I had picked up. Do I need to worry about getting a different injector or not worry about it and get back on the road?

Old 07-27-2013, 11:05 AM
Super Moderator

welcome to the forum. The injector to the far left is the correct way it should be. the top is the part that sets into the rail with an o ring inside or under it in a groove. the bottom is the bushing like to set a seal to the head area. 2 seals and 1 oring.

Old 07-27-2013, 02:12 PM

Thank you, so I should NOT use this "new" injector O'Reilly's sold me and should order the ones with that piece on the head side? That is annoying that the auto parts store does not have the correct thing in stock here and sell the wrong thing.