General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Idle fluctuates

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2011, 01:38 AM
Default Idle fluctuates

Hi Everyone

I have a 1995 Honda Ballade(SA) 180E Automatic and i have a problem with idle jumping. I already cleaned the IACV and FITV, but still the idle jump when the car is warm.If i start the car when cold the idlingis normal. CAn anyone please assist on this. Any sugestions what to do. Thanx

Old 05-23-2011, 09:37 AM

Welcome to the forum,High Idle speed and Fluctuation troubleshooting

Leaking EACV- Disconnect EACV connector. Idle speed should decrease. With the connector disconnected block the hole in the intake port or pinch the hose from the air cleaner to the EACV. If the idle speed decreases the valve is leaking. This condition will not set a code. The ECM can only detect an open or short circuit. It also may clog it’s screen if it has one.

Leaking IAC- (Idle air control valve) Disconnect IAC connector. Idle speed should decrease. With the connector disconnected, block the hole or pinch the hose to the IAC valve. If the idle speed decreases the valve is leaking. May not set a code and may not be a codeable circuit on all models.

TW or ECT sensor- (engine coolant temperature sensor) voltage should be about 3.0 volts @ 60 deg F and between .55 & .7 volts @ normal operating temp. If the voltage is above .8 volts at normal operating temp, will cause rich mixture and high idle speed. May not set a code because it is not far enough out of its operating parameters. **Also this sensor will not read temperature correctly if coolant is low. (beware)

Vacuum leaks- a loose vacuum hose or leaking intake manifold gasket can cause high idle speed and/or fluctuation. Also check for bad PCV valve.

Fast Idle Valve- (if equipped) a fast idle valve that is sticking can cause high idle speed and fluctuation. Check it by removing the steel cap on the top and putting your finger over the hole in the middle of the seat under the cap or block the port just inside of the throttle body opening, when the Idle is fluctuating or staying high. When the engine is warm this valve should be closed. You can tighten the seat but it will also change the idle speed warm up values (closing).

Throttle valve- throttle position sensor voltage should be .5 volts with the throttle closed. Make sure the throttle valve is fully closed and voltage is within spec.

Old 05-24-2011, 04:38 AM
Default Idle fluctuation

Thank you.

Thank for the help with this issue,i'll try it today and get back to you. I'm just tired of struggling with this car about this issue.It is going on for just more than a month.Hope it could be one of your suggestion. Thanks again