General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Lost keys. Need help

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2018, 09:21 PM
Default Lost keys. Need help

hello seeking help...lost my keys for 2016 honda civic. they are somewhere in my house. Is there any type of key finder that can locate them? I really dont want to pay $230 - $250 for new keys. That is way too much. Or does anyone know a place where I can get the key for cheaper and installed for cheaper?

thanks

Old 11-14-2018, 09:52 PM
Super Moderator

welcome to the forum. i do not know a way to find your keys in the house unless you had it set up to the iphone to beep for location. but if you call around in your area for a lock shop, ask them if they can make a key for your car, ( will need proof of ownership, drivers lic, registration, all info on your car) and if they are capable of programing the key to your car. honda usually asks 90 per key and 150 to program. i would try to retrace my steps from the last time you had the keys in hand. also have a spare key and fob in a location you can remember, easy access, but not known to anyone else.

Old 11-22-2018, 08:22 AM

Welcome in,a good locksmith can cut you a key,as for the remote,they are expensive and not many can program them,you may be able to find one on eBay,but like Acmech suggested try to find it,I lost mine once in the tool box in the garage while working on something,check your coat pockets and down beside the console in the car.good luck.

Old 12-17-2018, 01:33 PM

Keys and remotes are usually fairly easy to program if you know how to do it. There's usually a button or switch on the alarm control module or ecu or immobilizer module, or wires that you jump together at a service connector. You have to look up the specific procedure for your car, but any locksmith worth their salt will be able to do it while they are making a key for you.

OE key blanks and remotes are plentiful on eBay for a fraction of what dealers charge too, and a good locksmith won't have any trouble setting them up for you.

If you have a AAA membership they can send a locksmith out to you, and AAA covers the first $100 as part of your membership. If you're not a AAA member, you can probably ask them for a referral, or search for locksmiths then work with AAA.