General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

mitsuba sm-61209 starter - where is the solenoid? ('05 accord)

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2023, 10:49 PM
Default mitsuba sm-61209 starter - where is the solenoid? ('05 accord)

Where is the starter solenoid for the mitsuba sm-61209 starter? Normally a starter has a small cylinder on the side of the starter which is the solenoid.

Where is the one on mitsuba sm-61209?
I'm rebuilding the starter because there is a single click when I try to start. The brushes are worn so those will be replaced, but could it be the solenoid? Where is it though?

Old 08-26-2023, 11:59 AM

Probably remote. Trace the wire to it.
Most are on the inner fender.

Old 08-28-2023, 07:44 PM

Gotcha.
So I cleaned the starter and replaced the brush with the kit.I'm still getting the single click when I direct 12v to the starter. Same exact symptoms before I rebuilt. Plunger mechanism comes out with no resistance. When it is all together, It takes a little of force to turn the pinion. Nothing is binding though. Thoughts?

Old 08-28-2023, 08:05 PM

When the plunger is extended it closes a switch that allows for the exciting of the windings and makes the starter turn. That switch needs to be looked at.

Old 08-29-2023, 06:48 AM

Looking at the picture, there are a lot of metal chips there and the shaft looks a little chewed up. Not sure if the picture shows the true story.
Reassembled, the starter solenoid clicks? Bench test. Does the "plunger mechanism" come out to engage the flywheel? Does it spin?

Did you check the battery to make sure it has 12.5 volts? Load test to see if it has the capacity to crank engine?
May be time to just buy another starter motor?

Old 08-29-2023, 01:07 PM

Originally Posted by avisitor
Looking at the picture, there are a lot of metal chips there and the shaft looks a little chewed up. Not sure if the picture shows the true story.
Reassembled, the starter solenoid clicks? Bench test. Does the "plunger mechanism" come out to engage the flywheel? Does it spin?

Did you check the battery to make sure it has 12.5 volts? Load test to see if it has the capacity to crank engine?
May be time to just buy another starter motor?
Not the solenoid click since that is not attached to the starter. It's the plunger that clicks when trying to come out but cant. I am bypassing solenoid, touching battery to starter. I am use 18g wire but don't think that should cause low voltage?

Battery is 12.6v and a little over 1 year old.

The shaft is good. Teeth are intact and no chips. If I turn the armature at then by hand, the plunger pinion gear does turn.

Guessing the switch to the plunger. Puechased new starter too, but figure i track this down so i can know.

Last edited by Hondafreaky; 08-29-2023 at 01:10 PM.
Old 08-29-2023, 01:38 PM

You need to understand how this works. The starter motor receives the power when the gear is thrown out to it's full travel. When it reaches the full travel it makes connection with the switch that delivers power to the windings of the starter motor. This is so the starter is not spinning while the gear is being applied to the flywheel otherwise they will damage each other.
That's how it works.

Old 08-29-2023, 02:09 PM

Originally Posted by grcauto
You need to understand how this works. The starter motor receives the power when the gear is thrown out to it's full travel. When it reaches the full travel it makes connection with the switch that delivers power to the windings of the starter motor. This is so the starter is not spinning while the gear is being applied to the flywheel otherwise they will damage each other.
That's how it works.
The separate solenoid is throwing me off. First time encoutering this setup. I usually jump directly from the 12v coming from battery to starter, to the solenoid.
I guess I could just plug in the harnesses and try that way.

Old 09-05-2023, 02:23 PM

EDIT:: I went ahead and just bolted up the rebuilt starter to try, thinking maybe it needs a stronger ground. Looks like that was the issue. Phew

Well, I have a new starter. Did the same tests as above, and received the same results.

i also connected all the wire harnesses (throttle body, intake etc, connected thr starter 12v, and the spade harness) without bolting up the parts, then ran a wire from negative battery terminal to the starter body. Tried the key start, but it just clicked. True for rebuilt and new starter. I also:

-swapped relay with the identical one next to and no changes.
-paperclip bypassed the clutch switch. No changes
And the New starter spade harness is round, while mine is square? When did this change?

Last edited by Hondafreaky; 09-05-2023 at 03:12 PM.
Old 09-05-2023, 04:18 PM

Originally Posted by Hondafreaky
EDIT:: I went ahead and just bolted up the rebuilt starter to try, thinking maybe it needs a stronger ground. Looks like that was the issue. Phew

Well, I have a new starter. Did the same tests as above, and received the same results.

i also connected all the wire harnesses (throttle body, intake etc, connected thr starter 12v, and the spade harness) without bolting up the parts, then ran a wire from negative battery terminal to the starter body. Tried the key start, but it just clicked. True for rebuilt and new starter. I also:

-swapped relay with the identical one next to and no changes.
-paperclip bypassed the clutch switch. No changes
And the New starter spade harness is round, while mine is square? When did this change?
If it was the ground then why didn't the starter motor work with a jumper to battery negative?
Is the relay bad? Wiring?

Quick Reply: mitsuba sm-61209 starter - where is the solenoid? ('05 accord)