General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

No timing marks?

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2009, 11:00 PM
Default No timing marks?

I have a 92 Automatic Accord I recently bought. The transmission was replaced a few years back and I think they replaced the flex plate and installed it wrong (is that possible?) Anyway I went to get it smogged and it failed because the timing was off. The guy said there where no timing marks. So I took it home and sure enough I can not find any timing marks other than some little "bb" indentations. And they don't line up with the timing light at all.

Any advice on replacing the flex plate? Anything else I should do while I have the tranny off? I have a Chilton but still need to get the Helm. Is this what I need?

Russ

Old 04-30-2009, 03:51 AM

you shouldn't need to buy a manual. droping a tranny in a honda is really basic stuff. and you can't install a flexplate wrong and that would have nothing to do with timing or smog. if it's driving and not making any weird noises it's fine. the timing marks on honda's are just little marks like in this image, hard to see. but they are there. http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b1...G_8447edit.jpg
Make sure the crank shaft is clean. and there's marks on the timing cover. should be an arrow. noticible from the top of the engine. also there should be a jumper under the dash on the right (passanger) side, may be green or blue. has 2 wires with either nothing plugged into it or a Terminator or cover over it. take the cover off and stick a paper clip or something in there to jump the 2 wires. that will bring your timing to 0 degrees, you will need this if you are using a regular timing light, otherwise you will never see the mark., if you are using a timing light with degree adjustments, find out what degree it has to be set too. either 15 or 16 degrees BTDC i think. doube check that. then you will see the timing marks. if you mechanic doens't know that about cars. you should find a new mechanic.

Old 02-01-2011, 06:47 PM

Hello, I have missing timing information. Must be that the underside of the hood has be repainted and the tag is gone. I have no information as to what the timing degrees should be. Can anyone help?
It's a '86 CRX si carborated EW1 1500 motor. I just did a valve job and it did fire up and run, but the timing needs to be adjusted. My Haynes book says to look to the tag. but it's not there.
I do have all the other instructions as to which hoses to block off etc, just no info. Help. thanks in advance.

Old 02-02-2011, 11:40 AM

There are three lines on the bottom pulley the middle one lines up with a line on the plastic timing cover then there are two lines on the cam gear you put the lines -0- on the gear , there are also three numbers on the gear you put the numbers on top with lines the same you have to pay attention there is two ways if you put the numers on the bottom it will run but not right. also you will need to make sure number one piston is on the compression stroke do that by pulling the plug out and turning the engine until it blows your finger off the hole then turn it back to the tree lines on the pulley are where they are as described earlier

Old 02-03-2011, 05:58 PM
Default Missing info

Thanks Bucwheat. I have put the cam gear on and paid special attention to the can gears lines that line up with the head.
one at three o'clock and the other at nine. But now I'm wondering where the three numbers went.
This should be easy to see by taking off the upper timing cover.

I was able to fire it up, but when it did it reminded me that it was running like crap BEFORE the valve job. Carborator problems.
So it did fire up and all, but not knowing where the timing is suppose to be was another issue.

You have answered my question, thank you. The info that was suppose to be under the hood is missing. I will be able to set the timing if I sort out what is wrong with the Carb (vacuum leak, or something else) (exstreamly hard to start, just cranks and cranks barely making it to starting).

Setting the timing to be on TDC was not hard when I was putting it all together.
I set the number one pistion up when I installed the head, also setting the crank gear in place without the bolt.
Using both as a guide to make sure it didn't move when it was time to adjust the valves. Also you can use the distributor and cap, noting the rotor and where it is for each firing spot...
I use all three, the cam gear, the crank gear and the rotor to make sure i was in the right spot to adjust the valves..

I didn't have the info as to what the timing marks ment. I understand I put the timing on the center one of the three marks. Correct?

And also i'm gonna doubble check the cam gear to make sure the numbers are on the top. hmmm where did I put them?

Thanks again Bucwheat. I'll keep you posted. norcalbruce.

Old 02-04-2011, 08:08 AM

Glad we could help,have a nice weekend.