General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Vtec: Varible Valve Timing Solenoid

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2006, 12:28 PM
Default Vtec: Varible Valve Timing Solenoid

Hello,
My friend had a shade tree mechanic place a vtec in his 95 Accord. The problem is that his original motor is NOT vtec. Thus far i see him to have this problem, one:the ECU must bechanged to operate the Varible Valve Timing Solenoid. two: the harness to plug up the solenoid must be either wired or the whole harness replaced. The reason for my concern for him is that the 95 Accord suffered a blown head gasket very soon after the engine was replaced and i think that the Solenoid was partial to blame, but i don't have suffient tech expirence to be certain about my opinion. According to my Alldata Software the job of the Varible Valve Timing Solenoid is to open pressured oil to the rocker assembly, and with his current non-vtec harness the solenoid can not be plugged up. Does anyone know if the solenoid is a must to have? can it be given 12V directly and not thru the ECU? whats his best course of action?......thank you, JD