General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Please help!

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2012, 08:45 PM
Exclamation Please help!

I recently removed the manifold heat shield(96' f22b1) because it looked awful and it was rattling. To combat the extra heat, i removed the manifold and used a ceramic paint on it. Didn't help much. When i reinstalled the exhaust manifold i used some nuts i found at lowe's that i thought were close enough to the same as the honda locking nuts (probably stupid). Anyways, im trying to get it out again so i can put MANY layers of ceramic on it, but there is one nut i can not get off. It spins and spins but doesn't move. I bought a nut splitter at the hardware store but the way it's set up i can't get it to bite the whole nut. I've tried cutting it with dremel tools and all kinds of other stuff. I've literally been fighting this thing for a day and a half. I feel like i've tried everything. I'm afraid of damaging the stud. There's hardly anything left of the nut but its enough to keep my from removing the manifold. Is there a trick i don't know about besides not using non automotive parts on a Honda?

Old 06-12-2012, 11:25 PM

i would just keep at it with the dremmal. and that store bought rattle can paint sucks the only paint that will help is jet coat otherwise i would use header wrap or thermal jackets but honestly removing the heat shield really won't harm anything. i use a race header without a heat shield and with a carbon fiber hood and i have had zero issues.

Old 06-13-2012, 02:23 PM

I second the Jet coat,the only problem I ever had with a heat shield was heat soak on a starter many years ago,but that wouldn't apply to your Honda,I would try one thing first before cutting ,try prying up on the nut as you turn it with a pry bar maybe.That may put enough pressure on it to move it and shoot it with pb blaster and let it soak.