General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Question regarding latest '16-'18 Civic Turbo recall...

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2019, 06:54 PM
Default Question regarding latest '16-'18 Civic Turbo recall...

Back in March I posted about some odd happenings with my '18 Civic:
'
https://hondaforum.com/forum/general...nverter-13380/

My mileage bottomed out at 36.7 and only "recovered" to 36.8 when the weather started warming up. I wasn't getting any clouds of smoke or stammering any longer, but when I'm idling there is still a bit more visible exhaust than any of my other 15 Hondas.

Then a couple weeks back the recall comes about the "software and main A/C unit updates" Last week I called to make my appointment and found out that they drain the engine oil during this repair.

The phone call was a 3 parter because the dealer didn't have the car in the system or registered to me, when I called back to give them the VIN the second girl asked if I needed an oil change soon. I told her I still had 40% oil life on my factory oil (only 6k miles on my car) I know you are supposed to make sure and use the full oil life on the original oil because of the additives, but because of the issues I've been having already - I don't want to wait until fall to have this done (which brought part 3 of the call - talking to someone who was more knowledgable to help decide whether to go ahead and do it)

Which brings me to my two questions:

First, do the experts on here think it's a bad idea to take the factory oil out with 40% life left?

And second, and something I should have asked when I had the service advisor on the phone, but it didn't sink in until later......why does a software and AC control update require the oil to be drained in the first place?? Is there something we are not being told??

Thanks in advance

Last edited by fitness1; 05-31-2019 at 07:28 AM.