General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

rpms fluctuate.PLEASE HELP long ongoing issue

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2011, 11:59 AM
Default rpms fluctuate.PLEASE HELP long ongoing issue

Please reply with any suggestions..

I have a 95' Honda Accord lx(approx 177k). I have been having this problem for around 6months now.
It started with my transmission acting up, I knew something wasnt right but my inspection was soon due so I just took it to get inspected and told them about the suspect tranny problem. They looked at it, drove it awhile, and gave me a passed inspection telling me that my transmission was fine. The next day my tranny took a crap.
I decided I wanted to have it rebuilt (yes its high mileage but IMO it worth it for the money I put in.)
I had it rebuilt and the tranny was fine but ther was a problem with the rpms. They would fluctuate about 3000rpm up and down. (dont know exact no. that it is between) I had the car looked at at the same shop that rebuilt the tranny and they checked in, replaced a wire for the alternator, replaced the battery, checked ignition module;coils. I have had the car in there at least 5 times and was told it didnt act up for them and basically it was fixed, and each time it continued to act up intermittently.
After multiple times taking it there I decided to take it somewhere else. This place looked at it alittle and told me I should have my g-wire for my engine block replaced. I had that replaced and drove it for over an hour that day and it drove perfectly fine(normally it would act up in ten min) since that I thought it was fixed and drove it about 2hrs untill it acted up again while i was idling. it was just a few seconds then stopped and i drove it for 30min and it drove great. it hasnt been acting up as much but still does the same thing when it does. the lasttime it acted up I noticed my battery light flickering on and off and it seemed as I accellerated more or went up and incline it brightened and stayed on more often. After that the rpms would jump up and down and it sounds like the car is going to shut off.
Please anyone that could help with any ideas that would be great this has been a long stressfull stuggle with this problem.
Any other information that could help just ask. thanks.

Old 03-31-2011, 12:47 PM
Super Moderator

Have you tried cleaning out the egr valve. Lots of carbon will cause idle to fluxtuate

Old 04-01-2011, 11:59 AM

I have not tried that yet. But yesterday I tried taking it out for a drive and when drove about ten yds to pull out lot it shut off. The battery light and oil light were on and car was off. The headlights, radio, neons, gauges all stayed on. I turned the key off and started it bac up. It started right away and when I went to back it in spot when I hit the brake it shut off again right away. Any other ideas other then that? And would that valve make it shut off like that?

Old 04-01-2011, 11:28 PM
Super Moderator

the egr vlv would not make it shut off, you may have several problems. the egr vlv being full of carbon would cause a flux idle. Shut down could be a main relay, distributor ignitor, or ecu.

Old 04-06-2011, 03:30 PM

Do you think it could be the alternator? When I go on the gas more I noticed the battery light flickers on and dash lights brighten. Also, the rpms fluctuate when idling and driving, just have not been as much lately.
Another question, do you think this could be anything caused from having my transmission rebuilt? Before it was rebuilt the car drove with no problems.

Old 04-13-2011, 10:30 AM

Does anybody have any ideas as to what this could be?

Old 01-23-2012, 09:20 AM
Default main relay

check the main relay better yet replace it they can be intermitent.

Old 01-24-2012, 07:50 AM

Have your battery tested.