General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

timing belt kit sources

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2009, 09:10 AM
Default timing belt kit sources

are there any manufactureres to stay away form on these? im looking at picking up something with all the belts, gaskets and maybe even pulleys?

the car i just picked up supposedly has it done, but with 165k on the odo and a salv title id rather spend the extra couple hundred bucks and have peace of mind

any recomendations on other things to check, generally i am new to honda's and honda tech but am a pretty good general mechanic and have alot of high performance, non computerized perfromance so i know good basics and theories to go by, just not the specifics to these cars and maybe my particular model engine?

any help and or suggestions is greatly welcomed
thanks in advance.

Brian

Old 01-16-2009, 03:22 AM
Super Moderator
Default RE: timing belt kit sources

after market timing belts are ok, I used gates on the 90 accord, but used Honda on my 02 civic. both last the duration of milage +I now prefer Honda parts. Your choice. ( I would not be surprised if Honda used gates also ) I did not look at the Honda part as to who made them.

Old 01-16-2009, 09:39 AM
Default RE: timing belt kit sources

thanks, yeah im so used to working on oldder cars so old the dealer parts are obsolete, i forgot i could just go to dealer and get everything i need OEM

i have not done a compression or leakdown check yet, im doing that this sunday.

the motor responds quite well, fast and snappy. it pick up spedd pretty fast too.
the trans seems to shift a tad rough. im probably going to go and change the filter/gaskets on it and throw some new fluid in it this weekend just to see if i can see anything in the fluid.

otherwise everything works like a charm

hell the head unit in it is sirius ready and still has 2month on the subscription! lol

Old 02-25-2013, 06:42 PM

IF you need a timing belt you can't go wong with Gates. Here is a review of the Gates Timing Belt Component Kit with water pump from www.rockauto.com for thje J Series engine. Rockauto.com offers many different kits to choose from for Acura / Honda, they have Gates, Aisin, Dayco, Goodyear, ACDelco, plus many more for your specific application. They have great prices and shipping was extremly fast. Check out this video of the j series gates timing belt component kit with water pump.