General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Transmission wear.

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2017, 06:21 PM
Smile Transmission wear.

So I have decided to change the transmission fluid on my 09 Accord since it has 92k and I think it was the time. I checked the fluid color, it was darkish brown with a hint of red given that I was planning to go on a road trip. Short story long, I decided to change it myself since the manufacturer recommends drain and fill not flush.
I put car on ramps, removed plastic underneath, and put car on flat level. I removed the plug and notice something different from all the videos I watched on youtube!! The metal particles on the magnet is way less than the ones I see in the videos!! The amount of fluid drained was 3 quarts. I tightened the plug and topped off with 3 quarts of honda genuine ATF.
Something I always do since I bought the car (had 62k) is put the gear on neutral everytime I stop at traffic light or stop for any reason. A friend was surprised I do this and he said he should do the same. I feel that you give the transmission a second to take a breath every time you put it to neutral given that the pressure is more when the transmission is on drive mode and you force it to stop at a traffic light.
Less metal particles on the plug magnet means less wear because of my habit? or maybe the previous owner had the fluid changed and I didn't put much mileage on it? I am not sure so tell me what you think
Just wanted to share my observation hoping that it is helpful for everyone. Thank you for reading!

Old 03-29-2017, 02:57 AM
Super Moderator

welcome to the forum. I put my trans in neutral on a down hill. no more than 5 miles. changed fluid 3 times to date, 280k no metal or minimal noted. only thing to know is the highway patrol states that a car in neutral is a car not in control.