General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

What is this?

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2024, 04:06 PM
Default What is this?

I found this black box spiced in next to the fuse panel (by the drivers left foot) in my 07 Odyssey. Clearly not stock. There are no markings on the device. it's kinda heavy. 2 wires in, 2 wires out. Rubbery 1-piece cover. it was connected to a loose fuse that was wrapped in e-tape. I disconnected it. At first the car would not start so what now? some sort of immobilizer device? I wiggled the shift lever and the car started. Ha ha on me. 2 of the wires seem to be headed up the A pillar so I'm guessing it has something to do with the DVD player in the roof. When I disconnected this mystery box fuse, the DVD player would not turn on. Hook it up and the dvd player proves it's total uselessness with lots of RF type interference on the screen and it refused to read a dvd. Okay, I'm leaving it disconnected. On hot days the DVD player turns itself on and I get the whining noise right above my right ear. That's been annoying since I got this van a few years ago. I would take it out and send it to the nearby electronics recycle but then the van would have a hole in the headliner. On a side note, the DVD player works with Honda's own wireless headphones (optional). And it's positioned for back seat passengers. ie, totally useless to me. I'd complain about hauling it's extra weight but that's a joke when you consider all the junk I haul. So I'm guessing this black box is a heavy duty RF filter in the power line to the DVD player that was added by someone to try to get the DVD player working better. The Fail part is they wrapped the extra few feet of wire in a loop and stuffed it in next to the fuse box.

I see there is a 20 amp fuse in the panel labeled Sunroof. Is this normal for a vehicle with no sunroof? Or is there something else on that circuit?

Old 04-29-2024, 09:53 PM

It's a fuse holder for aftermarket device.