General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Why can't I keep a speedometer?

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2008, 04:31 AM
Default Why can't I keep a speedometer?

Hi! I have a 93 Honda Civic CX 5spd. I am on my 3rd speedometer. The original lasted approx. 100k and I replaced it with a used one of comparable mileage. Same goes for the one after that. Now this one is failing too and the local dealership has no idea and suggests I buy new ($400+ no thanks!). I am getting tired of buying them new or otherwise. This one still works intermittently as they all did. The needle will simply lie there then up and work. It can stop at any time too. Last weekend it worked all the way of a 3.5hr drive. It will sometimes jump around, swinging from 0 to whatever speed then either work or die. Of course the odometer doesn't work then either which bothers me since I would have loved to have kept track of my actual mileage ( it currently reads 353k but I know it is more). Another Honda owner suggested I post here as he figured someone on this site could crack the code for me. Any ideas?

Old 06-19-2008, 11:23 AM
Super Moderator
Default RE: Why can't I keep a speedometer?

welcome to the forum Karen, enjoy your stay, hope we might be able to assist you.It may be your v v s going bad. go to this site and register for free and navigate to your car info and into repair, then todrivability& emissions control, to v v shttp://autozone.com also http://about.comandin search type in civic speedometer, there are quite a few items like yours, some have diagrams of locations and how to change.If you type in accord speedometer, this also will show you diagrams.