Honda Accord Forum This popular mid sized car is offered in both a coupe and sedan, mixes performance with versatility.

04 Accord Transmission

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2017, 10:25 AM
Question 04 Accord Transmission

Hi, all! First post. I have a 2004 Accord EX 4cyl. auto trans. Sitting at a stop sign, pulling off... car wouldn't pull. Put it in neutral, let it coast backward off the road and into a driveway. Tried all gears... nothing. Put it in park, all it did was "grind". Immediately shut it off to prevent more damage. The car has 306,000+ miles. I've had it 2 months and put 2,000 miles on it. It's a one owner (prior to my purchasing it) and has had 2 timing belt services. The original owner is an engineer at Honda Manufacturing in Marysville so, presumably, he maintained the car. I've personally owned 6 Accords ('99 EX-L 4cyl, '00 EX-L V6, '03 EX 4cyl, '04 EX-L V6, '95 LX Wagon, and this one... have also had 3 Civics.). I've had transmission probs out of all the V6 Accords but never out of a 4 cyl. . Hopefully, there is something minor wrong with the car, but I am a pessimist. Anyone had issues (or know something) like this? MANY THANKS!!!

Old 04-17-2017, 10:28 AM

Also, forgot... the car will not hold in 'park'... rolls. Not sure if that matters.

Old 04-19-2017, 06:37 AM

Welcome in,I think you know the answer you are seeking,300K is pretty good for a trans life. Pull the dip stick check the fluid for off color and smell the fluid,does it have a burnt smell?its strange that you had no warning before this failure .if it is bad I would check into a used trans as buying a new one is expensive.

Old 04-19-2017, 10:27 AM
Default Yay!!!!

Ok. Good news (well, better news than a bad transmission ). Left axle broke. Definitely cheaper to repair than a transmission. .he's at the garage now being repaired. Should be around $175 all in. Let's hope the tech doesn't find a bunch of other issues. As soon as i can afford it, I'll have the other side replaced. I'm hoping for 400,000 miles... just 'cuz!!! Thanks, all!