Honda Accord Forum This popular mid sized car is offered in both a coupe and sedan, mixes performance with versatility.

1987 Carb issues

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2009, 07:59 AM
Unhappy 1987 Carb issues

Hello, my 1987 accord has some carb issues. Once at ops temp, fan has come on and off, rpms will race up to 4000rpm, sometimes. If I hit the gas it goes higher and then rests at 4000rpm. Now when it does idle, but not correctly, looking down the carb, while running warmed up, I feel like too much gas is coming out of the fuel jet. The one in the middle, not the power value jet. Now if I put a rag over the carb she RACES up in rpms. What is that? In the past when I had an air leak the rag trick would let the car idle correctly, now she races up when I cut air flow going into the top of the carb. Putting a rag over the secondary barrel does nothing. My fuel economy has dropped. At idle I have to push on the accelector to keep it alive, I guess because of too much gas going down the carb.

Please help, its my go to work car. Thanks

Old 10-22-2009, 09:27 AM
Super Moderator

welcome to the forum. " Per Wiki Answers 86-89 accord the vaccum port on the choke opener that is connected to the intake manifold and both vaccum ports on the fast idle unloader get plugged up with nasty hard carbon almost as hard as metal. When this happens the choke sticks closed and the idle sticks on fast idle when the engine is cold. Attaach a small dril bit to the end of a flexible socket-driver estensiona and put it ina variable speed drill that will allow uou to run real slow and carefully drill out the vaccum ports that are plugged. After they are nice and clean, use a vaccum pump tester to make sure the choke opener and fast idle unloader are working before putting it all back togeather."