Honda Accord Forum This popular mid sized car is offered in both a coupe and sedan, mixes performance with versatility.

1992 Accord, no spark condition

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2006, 05:21 AM
Default 1992 Accord, no spark condition

My 1992 Honda accord refused to start yesterday (90 plus degrees outside), despite cranking over very strong. I listened for the fuel pump to engage, which it did and I also heard the subsequent click of the relay shutting power off.
I checked for spark directly from the coil and there was spark evident. Still a strong crank, fuel pump sound, no start. I then replaced my cap/rotor, as they were 70K miles old. My car immediately started on first try, missed a little bit, then purred as usual.

On the way to the gas station (level was above Empty, no light on) the engine almost died while idling, but I gave some throttle and saved it. After gassing up, let the engine idle for 5min while I fixed some lady's horn. Ran smooth. Drove several blocks towards home and engine died very quietly. Has not started since.

289,850 miles.
Ignition coil checks out with proper voltage, resistance, etc.
Cap/Rotor are new.
Proper voltage at ignitor, resistance, continuity to ECM. DID NOT CHECK FEED TO TACHOMETER.
No spark at all from coil. Checked coil secondary wire=5 ohm resistance.

I've read that if you're getting no spark AND your ignition coil checks out good and your IGNITOR CHECKS OUT GOOD (huh?) then the ignitor is bad and needs replacement (huh?).

Also, I read that if your tachometer works, then your ignitor is good. Does this mean movement while I crank the motor?

I would like to know how to tell for sure if the ignitor is bad, or if the problem could be the ECM or MAP sensor. Or the distributor.

Thanks for all the great info on this forum!