Honda Accord Forum This popular mid sized car is offered in both a coupe and sedan, mixes performance with versatility.

1993 Accord, Automatic dies/spits in reverse.

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2014, 01:44 PM
Default 1993 Accord, Automatic dies/spits in reverse.

Just to let you know, I've searched and searched and can't seem to find a previous post, on this site or the web, that closely resembles the problem I'm having.

To bring you up to date I'll explain what happened and what I've done up to this point.

Once I got the car I noticed that while the automatic transmission is in reverse and under load (backing up a hill or stepping on the gas too suddenly) the car would shake badly but it still moved. I didn't consider it too much of an annoyance and the car was a wedding gift so I let it be. Then two months ago, the transmission went out. I ordered a transmission online from a junk yard. It had 117k mi, rebuilt torque converter, new flywheel, and I went ahead and got a trans. computer. My dad and I did the removal and install (this is the 4th accord trans. we've replaced). I put all new fluids, including the Honda required transmission fluid. Right away I noticed reverse seemed to be doing the exact same thing as the last one. I let it be again thinking it was a bad rear motor mount perhaps, turned out my dad replaced all motor mounts when he got the car. Well in the past week, when the car is in reverse, it went from a mild vibration, to an extreme vibration, to now where it shuts off the engine right away once reversed is engaged, or it shakes and jerks then cuts off. The car will not back up a hill. I can only reverse, sometimes, on flat ground.

So I need some help. I called a transmission shop and of course they said bring it in. I have checked cable adjustment per Hanes manual. I have cleaned the idler that clogs, adjusted the high rev idler, checked my throttle cable. Everything is in specs.

I'm not a master mechanic but I have an above average understanding of cars and this one has me stumped.

My dad said the transmission is probably just a bad one. If thats the case I wasted 2 days of labor, $100 in fluids, and the hassle of having to do it all again. I just don't see how two transmissions, one of which was "tested" by the yard that pulled it, can have the same problem.

Any advice would be appreciated. If you have questions about something I did or didn't do, please ask.

I also have a youtube link to the car doing its thing in reverse. It might be kind of hard to hear the engine in the video but it's the best the S3 can do.

Thanks in advance,
A.J.

Old 04-19-2014, 01:47 PM

Oh and b.t.w., all forward gears work fine, shift properly. Sorry for that missed piece of information.

Old 04-19-2014, 01:58 PM

I'm sorry, I should have double read my post before posting....

I jumped the plug that shows codes on your dash and I don't have a single one except for front left abs wheel speed sensor. No engine or trans. codes.

Thanks

Old 04-29-2014, 08:03 AM

Nothing? Really guys?