Honda Accord Forum This popular mid sized car is offered in both a coupe and sedan, mixes performance with versatility.

1996 accord rack and pinion

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2018, 09:15 AM
Default 1996 accord rack and pinion

I recently took my accord to the shop cause the front drivers side steering had an issue. The mechanic told me it is the rack and pinion that is bad. I'm not great with cars but can usually do the work myself with help from the internet or some friends. Has anyone had this issue? Can I replace the the bushings or do I need to replace the whole power steering assembly? I guess I am wondering if it's easier to just do the assenbly, or just the rack and pinion bushings. Thanks.

Old 05-09-2018, 06:20 PM

does it try to lock-up when turnning from right to left?
does it have a popping sound when turning?
or is it a grinding sound?

Old 05-09-2018, 07:09 PM

No it doesn't lock up.i had the car for 2-3 months, daily driver. The steering wheel gradually kept shifting positions towards the 10 o clock position. the steering wheel top is at about 10 o clock now in order to drive straight. When I'm coming to a stop I can here a popping sound when the tire rotates to a certain point. My mechanic said rack and pinion. You can see the black rubber boots is busted on the rack and pinion and the bushings are bad, leaking oil. I am thinking of trying this myself, to save a ton of money i don't have. Is replacing the rack and pinion (power steering assembly) the best option? The only issue is with the drivers side front tire. It has gotten so bad it cause my tire to start peeling. Thank you greatly for any help you can give me. I'm a single dad of 2 and just can't shell out $1300 to a shop, especially when the part is only $120-$200. I've been able to figure out how to do a lot of my own work with these forums help and internet videos. Is the at my best bet at this point? Is it.possible to just replace the bushings?

Old 05-11-2018, 07:21 AM

sounds like it is the gearing with-in it, yes you can replace the bushing but i fear that they might be a press in type. if so then you might have to pull the assembly to do that.
If it is like anyother rack and pinion assembly the hardest part is getting all the stuff away from it to get it out. i have replaced 3 or 4 of them in the past and i have one to replace on my moms car this weekend or next weekend. her's is locking up when turned to the left and this not good unless she is driving on a race track. lol

Old 05-11-2018, 07:37 AM

If my memory sefves me right, dont take it for concrete.
Pulls tires, pull hubs and bearing assembly to get to the axle ends. (take pictures)
Disconnect the supply lines and or any electrical wires. (take pictures)
disconnect the outer tir rods and pivot points (take pictures)
disconnect the mounting bolts and lower motor mount (take pictures)
on some you can slide to rack-n-pinion assy out from one side and others it drops down (take pictures)
on yea and take pictures.