Honda Accord Forum This popular mid sized car is offered in both a coupe and sedan, mixes performance with versatility.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2000 accord ex

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2013, 03:55 PM
Default 2000 accord ex

Alright, so I've had my accord for almost 8 months now and I have always noticed a little something going on with the oil consumption. I had to swap out the oil pan due to the last place that did the oil change cranking on the pan plug too hard but other than that, there are no noticeable signs of over consumption except for on the dipstick. There is no smoke out of the tail at any point when it's running, unless there is a small small trace while I'm driving and can't see it. But other than that I swapped the plugs out last week and they smelled a little bit like oil but not terrible. It's be almost 2 months since I have changed the oil last (can't remember the mileage but I average about 200 miles per week) so I am really about half way to where I typically change my oil and I have had to add about 1.5qts to it over time.

I have heard that accords are typical good at burning oil but I'm just wondering if anyone else is having issues with a similar motor.. I am looking at possibly doing a motor swap at some point, but it won't be anytime in the immediate future (next year maybe). The odometer currently shows 173k but going into the winter I don't want to keep running thicker oil in it..

Anyone else seen this or a cause of it?

Old 11-16-2013, 05:37 PM

We have a 2000 and it has 125K on it no useage of oil here,yours can still be burning oil at such a small rate you don't notice it at the tail pipe,check your coolant to see if it's clean.

Old 11-16-2013, 06:10 PM

if its not leaking then its burning. probably need new oil rings

Old 11-17-2013, 10:18 AM

I will look more into the coolant.. although I would hope it wouldn't be that but I have taken my radiator cap off and glanced at the coolant and cleaned out and added to the overflow radiator jug, upon first glance it looks like regular run of the mill uncompromised coolant

Old 11-20-2013, 06:32 AM
Super Moderator

Mom had a 90 accord, from new to 160k the car burned 1qt each 3k. It passed smog in Ca. with no problem. My 02 civic 1.7 did not burnt oil at all. my 07 Fit burns 1 qt after 40% oil life (60% I add a qt.) passed smog this year. all engines are different for Honda. None leaked oil or lost in the trans or rad coolent. (checked)

Old 11-25-2013, 07:26 AM

well thanks for the input everyone.. sounds like it's just a unique thing to different people probably due to driving patterns and all..