Honda Accord Forum This popular mid sized car is offered in both a coupe and sedan, mixes performance with versatility.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2004 Honda Accord-Ex Acceleration Issue

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2014, 10:10 AM
Default 2004 Honda Accord-Ex Acceleration Issue

Hello Experts!

I hope you can give me a better insight on the issue with my vehicle. I am leaning towards transmission, but hope some one here might know for sure or have experienced the same issue.

Specs:
  • ~200,000 miles
  • V6, EX model, automatic

Scenario:
At times, when I accelerate from a full stop, it will go and usually about ~30-40 mph it will stop accelerating and "rev" the engine as if I put it in neutral. I will see my RPMs spike up to 5-6 because I am trying to accelerate. I have to let off of the gas pedal and let it coast for a few seconds (since I cannot accelerate) and then when I try to accelerate again, it will then go. I do not hear any grinding noises or any other weird sounds. The power to the car is still active when this happens, but I just cannot accelerate until I let it "rest" a few seconds before trying again. If I quickly turn off my car (while still coasting) and turn it back on after a few seconds, it will start to work again. I have tried it in the other gears (1, 2, D3) and the problem is still present in those as well. This doesn't happen all the time, but there is definitely an issue with the auto and I don't feel safe driving it around until I get it fixed. Any thoughts? Thanks!

Old 04-08-2014, 08:08 PM

Welcome in,yep it's the trans.sorry.

Old 04-09-2014, 04:24 AM

i wouldn't rule out bad Transmission shift Solenoids does the D4 light flash when this happens have you checked for diagnostic codes that mite be stored in memory when you shift from n to d3-d4 does it take longer to engage ???

Old 04-10-2014, 07:34 AM

Thanks for the reply all.

Originally Posted by lowlife9
i wouldn't rule out bad Transmission shift Solenoids does the D4 light flash when this happens have you checked for diagnostic codes that mite be stored in memory when you shift from n to d3-d4 does it take longer to engage ???
I have not seen any of the lights on the car flash when I cannot accelerate and it just becomes me revving. Sometimes the car does feel like its "jumping" as if you slammed your foot on the gas pedal, but it's not going anywhere. It just revs. I haven't taken it to Autozone or anywhere that can read the diagnostic codes because I am afraid it might just end up breaking down. It doesn't seem to take long to engage when I shift from N to D3 to D4 or vice versa. Sometimes it works, other times it will just rev and not accelerate.

Old 04-10-2014, 07:20 PM

well because the issue is sporadic i would lean towards the shift silonoids. you can purchase a diagnostic scaner for $30-80 dollars harbor freight tools has one for 30 bucks i would suggests buying it using it then return it if you don't want to keep it but they do come in handy. either way you really need to check for codes because this could be a $200 dollar problem or a $2,000 dollar problem. when was the last time you changed the transmission fluid ???

Last edited by lowlife9; 04-10-2014 at 07:24 PM.
Old 04-11-2014, 03:39 PM

well because the issue is sporadic i would lean towards the shift silonoids. you can purchase a diagnostic scaner for $30-80 dollars harbor freight tools has one for 30 bucks i would suggests buying it using it then return it if you don't want to keep it but they do come in handy. either way you really need to check for codes because this could be a $200 dollar problem or a $2,000 dollar problem. when was the last time you changed the transmission fluid ???

Hmmm, I am going to take it to one of these shops that give a free diagnostics. Hopefully, they will be able to give some insight, but yea, the fluid is good. I checked it maybe...4weeks ago? and this problem just started some time last week.

Old 04-11-2014, 07:34 PM

just because the fluid looks fine doesn't mean anything when was the last time it was changed ???. honda uses an internal mesh filter that can easily get clogged from clutch pack debris dropping oil pressure and causing irreversible damage. there is a magnet on the transmission drain plug designed to catch this metal debris before it reaches the filter if its never cleaned then you can guess what can happen.

Old 04-12-2014, 07:45 AM

just because the fluid looks fine doesn't mean anything when was the last time it was changed ???. honda uses an internal mesh filter that can easily get clogged from clutch pack debris dropping oil pressure and causing irreversible damage. there is a magnet on the transmission drain plug designed to catch this metal debris before it reaches the filter if its never cleaned then you can guess what can happen.

now that you mentioned it, when I did check the transmission fluid via dipstick, I did notice veeeeeery very subtle metal debris. it wasn't very obvious to the naked eye and you'd have to look at it a bit closely to notice. thanks for the tip! I don't remember the last time it was actually changed, i'll have to ask because I wasn't the one that did it/worked on it.

Old 04-12-2014, 08:09 PM

unfortunately honda could never really make a reliable automatic transmission this was particularly a major problem with 7th generation hondas 2001-2005 civic accord because the internal filter mesh was to fine and clogged rather quickly some cars didn't make it to 50,000 miles. honda did eventuality use larger filters in the the late 05 models. im actually doing a trans drain and fill tomorrow i do one refill every 10,000-15,000 miles.the proper way is to drain the fluid clean the magnet refill with new honda fluid and drive the car for awhile then repeat 3-4 more times. it can get expensive with the fluid being 8-10 dollars a quart and about 4 quarts every refill. its very important to use only honda transmission fluid.

Last edited by lowlife9; 04-12-2014 at 08:14 PM.
Old 04-13-2014, 11:50 AM

unfortunately honda could never really make a reliable automatic transmission this was particularly a major problem with 7th generation hondas 2001-2005 civic accord because the internal filter mesh was to fine and clogged rather quickly some cars didn't make it to 50,000 miles. honda did eventuality use larger filters in the the late 05 models. im actually doing a trans drain and fill tomorrow i do one refill every 10,000-15,000 miles.the proper way is to drain the fluid clean the magnet refill with new honda fluid and drive the car for awhile then repeat 3-4 more times. it can get expensive with the fluid being 8-10 dollars a quart and about 4 quarts every refill. its very important to use only honda transmission fluid.

I guess this car just missed the cutoff year, lol. oh well...is it recommended to do the trans fluid that often? 10-15k seems much to me...?

Quick Reply: 2004 Honda Accord-Ex Acceleration Issue