Honda Accord Forum This popular mid sized car is offered in both a coupe and sedan, mixes performance with versatility.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2007 and 2008 Honda Accord having the battery problems

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2009, 11:05 AM
Default 2007 and 2008 Honda Accord having the battery problems

My friend bought a brand new 2007 Honda accord due to clearance sales and myself bought a brand new 2008 Honda accord both of them are 4 cylinders engine. We are having the same problems in the cold cold winter in Alberta here. We both parked our cars in the garage after the next day the car won’t start anymore, we both using the jumper to start the engine then we drove the cars to the Honda dealership there, the only thing they can do is charging the batteries for us but after that is only last for couple days and the batteries are dead again. I told the dealership the battery has a small glass hole there if you don’t see the green spot in there that’s mean the battery is no good anymore needed to replace the new one in there. We did request the dealership to replace the new batteries for us because our car is under warranty GUESS WHAT they told us there is nothing they can do about it, I will suggest you go to Canadian Tires to purchase a better battery for your car Hello those cars are under warranty and they told us to purchase our new battery by ourselves is that making sense? Sound like the dealership wanted to push the respondsility away.
I wonder why the battery is so weak then temp is down to C –28. So far my friend he has been charging his battery 4 times already and I have been charging mine 3 times. Is that because of the battery cranking amps is too small? I think Honda cranking amps is 400 is that right? I would like to hear respond and suggestions from other people in here.

Old 01-27-2009, 01:25 AM
Super Moderator
Default RE: 2007 and 2008 Honda Accord having the battery problems

welcome to the forum. try to find another honda dealer that you might be able to take your car to, have them check the battery or charging system and explain to them what is happening, see if they do the same. mean time document in writing all that is going on from the purchase of your cars. get a hold of Honda Canada ( this is the headquarters of Honda Dealers . Above the Dealerships ) and get a hold of someone that can assist you. make sure you write down names,dates,times,etc.
If Headquaters cannot or will not help, then you may have to purchase your own battery. The stock battery is suppose to be strong enough to take cold weather and still start.

Old 01-27-2009, 03:46 PM

I looked at my Honda Accord and found that battery is really small. The smaller the battery the fewer the cranking amps. In the case of cold weather, your cranking amps go down even more.

Have you thought about buying a standard size car battery to replace the one you have?

Old 01-27-2009, 08:44 PM

Acmech52,
This is unbelievable if the headquarter can not or not helping then we have to purchase our own battery. So what is the warranty for? What is the meaning of bump to bump, so they should sell the car with no warranty right? This not the way to do business in this way. All I can say they are cheap and trying not to spend a dime back to the customer. This is sad. One thing I have to mention in here, I have a Honda, Mitsubishi Evo (still brand new) and a FORD SUV. I have been driving FORD vehicle seen I have landing in this country (20 years). The reason why I am driving Ford because they have an excellent warranty service for the customer. If the car is under warranty there is no question they will replace the parts for you without any question at all. I remember back to 5 years ago I have a Ford Focus in the wintertime having a lot of problems with the exhaust system. After a year they have a new exhaust system they call me to replace the whole exhaust system for my focus. 10 years ago I have a battery problem with my new ford windstar, first time they gave me a fully charge, after a week the battery going weak again, they just replace a brand new battery without any question. This is call WARRANTY not like Honda dealership pushing around same as ACURA too! I used to have a brand new Acura RSX Type S in the wintertime the battery problem too! The answer is “ There is nothing we can do about it, we’ve checked your is battery nothing with it….sorry” Honda or Acura those dealerships they have to find out where is problem came from or get the Japan manufacture to solve the problems.
gathright, yes the battery is small but I can’t change the bigger amps battery unless the Honda agreed with it if not if anything goes wrong they can make a lot excuses to avoid my warranty. If you park your car whole night long outside your garage with the temp below C-20 I think you will lost at least 45% of your cranking amps. The original cranking amps I think is 400 cranking amps only.
Well, I guess I have enough of Honda and Acura (some other problems too) I won’t buy any Honda or Acura again. I guess my next is Toyota or Nissan eh![:@][:@][:@]

Old 01-28-2009, 07:27 AM
Super Moderator

I understand your fustration, 1. did you try another dealership? 2. did you call Honda Canada, the headquarters for Canada's Dealership 3. are you documenting what is happening daily with your car and your friends car. If you have not done any of the above items, talking about all the other cars you have will not fix your honda's or acura's. Let's try to get your cars fixed by the dealership according to the warranty.

Old 01-28-2009, 12:09 PM

Frustration? Yes of course. A small matter why can’t the local dealership handle it? Why have to call the Honda Canada? This is depending on the local dealership wanted to replace a new battery or not. If the dealership replace a new battery they just make a claim to Honda Canada and I don’t think the Honda Canada will question the dealership WHY replace a new battery because this is not a serious case.
I will try to go to other dealerships see what they can do, if the rest of the dealerships still giving me the same answer then I will contact the Honda Canada.

Old 09-03-2009, 09:30 PM
Angry 2007 Honda Accord - 5 batteries in 20 months

I've had the battery in my 2007 Honda Accord 2-dr coupe replaced 5 times (under warranty) since I bought the miserable thing some 20 months ago!!!! I'm on first name basis with the tow truck driver Honda's Roadside Assistance keeps sending to boost my car. My selling dealership (Birchwood Honda) sucks! They absolutely refuse to acknowledge there is a problem. They tell me that I don't drive my car enough (I drive it to work every day, 5 days a week and in winter it's in the garage with the block heater plugged-in.)

Today (I'm having trouble starting my car; it's +26C / +84F in August!) Birchwood Honda told me that if I don't drive my car at least every 3 days then the battery will die. Seriously...owning a Honda Accord means that I can never go on vacation, not even a long weekend?! Come on! They told me that if I had to park my car for the weekend I should disconnect the negative cable from the battery. What a joke! I owned a 1989 Daytona ES for over 15 years and only replaced the battery twice -- and here in Winnipeg it can be -40C for a straight week in winter!

Honda's got to step up to the plate on this one. I totally feel like they are simply waiting for my warranty to expire so they can start charging me for my misery, not to mention sleepless nights and missed days at work.

Here's my solution: sell it and never buy a Honda again.

Old 09-04-2009, 01:25 PM
Super Moderator

welcome to the forum. Have you also documented all the fustration you are going through, and have you tried another dealership to get the problem fixed. then have you also called the Honda Company to file a complaint after all that you have gone through. With as many times you have gone through this and no fix, sounds like the lemon law would prevail. many times on a consistant failure is good grounds to get another same make with no problems.

Old 05-29-2010, 03:22 PM

so did any of you guys ever find a solution, apart from poor warranty servicing. I have a european accord and live in swedish lappland, I've had to mount a battery charger inline with the block heater to get through the winter, they tested the battery at the last service and said it was fine, however the guy at the dealer admitted on the battery being a bit small for the car (45ah andf looks about the size of a MC battery!).

My car is five eyars old, so just looking for a solution, anyone able to fit a larger battery in there?

Old 06-03-2010, 10:55 PM

The Battery CCA (Cold Cranking Amps) is what everyone is talking about and is how many amps a battery is able to deliver for 30 seconds at minus 17.7 degrees Celsius. @ that temp a 12 volt battery will hold a 7.2 volts. With out testing of the battery we wouldn't know the condition of the battery, especially; if they didn't test it either. I hate to say it but it just might be to cold outside for that battery to work and I recommend at this point and with the info given to try a heater to keep the battery from freezing. un less you have one.

Quick Reply: 2007 and 2008 Honda Accord having the battery problems