Honda Accord Forum This popular mid sized car is offered in both a coupe and sedan, mixes performance with versatility.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2009 Accord Cranks but doesn't start

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2023, 11:02 PM
Default 2009 Accord Cranks but doesn't start

My 2009 Honda Accord cranks but will not start. This is what I've checked: alternator is good, battery is good, spark plugs all fire, main relay is good, fuel pump is good, fuel filter is clean, and I checked the crank shaft sensor and it seems to be functioning. There is no green key on the dash when I turn it on. The car was driving fine Friday night and wouldn't start Saturday morning. I don't know what else to check, any tips would be appreciated.

Old 09-05-2023, 07:30 AM

If you had spark and fuel as you say why is not not starting? How did you test these things?

Old 09-05-2023, 10:31 AM

2009? Then should be key start? Turn key to the "ON" position and listen for the fuel pump to prime the fuel rail. Should run for about two seconds.
Check spark at the plugs or at the coil ends. Nice blue spark??? If crank sensor is faulty then there would be no spark and no fuel injector pulse.
Do you know how to test for fuel injector pulse? Using a test light?

Do you have a can of brake clean or starter fluid? Spray some into the intake. Careful not to spray on MAF sensor.
Crank the engine to see if it starts. (start then chokes out due to lack of fuel). If it does then fuel system is where the issue exist.

Try putting gear selector into neutral and start the engine? Probably no go?

Check fuses. Can be done with a test light. Key on. And clip to ground. Probe to the two test points on the fuse.
Only one side lights up then fuse is blown. Both sides light up then fuse is good.
If both side do not light up then no power to fuse.

Can try depressing the gas pedal all the way to the floor and crank the engine for about 10 seconds.
Then release and try to start engine in normal fashion. Depressing gas pedal to floor puts it in clear flood mode.

Old 09-05-2023, 12:22 PM

Originally Posted by grcauto
If you had spark and fuel as you say why is not not starting? How did you test these things?
i pulled out the spark plugs one at a time and reconnected them to the coil pack and had someone turn the key. Good spark on all. I pulled the fuel pump to see if there was a clog. There was no clog. While i had the fuel line disconnected that goes to the pump i turned the key to the on position and gas shot out of the pump

Old 09-05-2023, 04:09 PM

Originally Posted by ktfox
i pulled out the spark plugs one at a time and reconnected them to the coil pack and had someone turn the key. Good spark on all. I pulled the fuel pump to see if there was a clog. There was no clog. While i had the fuel line disconnected that goes to the pump i turned the key to the on position and gas shot out of the pump
You would not get spark on the plugs unless the plug was grounded.
Checking the pump at the tank does not tell you if there is fuel pressure at the fuel rail.
Nor does that tell you the injectors are working.
Never mind.

Last edited by avisitor; 09-07-2023 at 02:07 AM.
Old 09-05-2023, 06:15 PM

Your testing methods leave a lot to be desired. Was the spark blue and snapped? Still not a good method. Did the fuel spray 40 feet? Still not a good method of testing pressure.
Try using spray carb cleaner and see if it hits. Better yet get a pressure gauge on it.