Honda Accord Forum This popular mid sized car is offered in both a coupe and sedan, mixes performance with versatility.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2014 Honda Accord Cylinder 2 Misfire

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2023, 02:35 PM
Default 2014 Honda Accord Cylinder 2 Misfire

Hi,

My Honda Accord 2014 with 65k miles on had been experiencing P0302 Cylinder 2: Misfire since April 2023. I took it to the local shop near my house and they replace to the spark plugs. I then took it to the Honda Service center 3 times and I'm still experiencing the same issue.

First time, they replace the crank shaft sensor.
Second time, they replaced the fuel injector for cylinder 2.
Third time, they found significant carbon build up in cylinder 2. They removed the cylinder heads 1 and 2 and sent it out to be cleaned and machined. They reinstalled heads with new gaskets.

Getting all that done wasn't cheap and it still didn't fix the problem.

I scheduled another appt at the same service center and plan on speaking directly the manager there.

Old 07-22-2023, 04:48 PM

Did they try swapping the ignition coils # 1 and # 2?
If the misfire moves to number 1 then coil is the issue
If not change then not coil and does not cost you unless you have the garages do the work
When they did the heads, did they adjust the valve lashes?
Inspect the cams? Compression test, leak down test??

Old 07-22-2023, 05:30 PM

Originally Posted by avisitor
If not change then not coil and does not cost you unless you have the garages do the work
Forgot to add the ignition coil for cylinder 2 was replaced during the second visit.

Not sure if they adjusted the valve lashes when they did the heads. I will confirm that when I take the car back on Tuesday.

I would think they would inspect the cams and check everything related to the misifire, as well as the compression test as part of the diagnosis. Its like they are just going through process of elimination instead of fixing the root cause.

Old 07-22-2023, 05:31 PM

Forgot to add the ignition coil for cylinder 2 was replaced during the second visit.

Not sure if they adjusted the valve lashes when they did the heads. I will confirm that when I take the car back on Tuesday.

I would think they would inspect the cams and check everything related to the misifire, as well as the compression test as part of the diagnosis. Its like they are just going through process of elimination instead of fixing the root cause.

Old 07-22-2023, 06:56 PM

You need to find a shop that knows what they are doing rather than just throwing parts at it.
The wiring for that cylinder needs attention.

Old 07-22-2023, 07:04 PM

Originally Posted by grcauto
You need to find a shop that knows what they are doing rather than just throwing parts at it.
The wiring for that cylinder needs attention.
I totally agree, it's their own service center, I would think they know how to fix it without guessing.

Old 07-23-2023, 12:57 PM

Originally Posted by kru20o1@hotmail.com

So, instead of testing, they went and replaced the part.
And of course you paid them to do it and it did not fix the issue.
You have a bunch of parts changers and no one who can diagnose the issue
As long as you are willing to pay them, they will continue on the parts changing.
I am sorry. I do not like to knock anyone.

Old 07-29-2023, 09:27 PM

So, instead of testing, they went and replaced the part.
And of course you paid them to do it and it did not fix the issue.
You have a bunch of parts changers and no one who can diagnose the issue
As long as you are willing to pay them, they will continue on the parts changing.
I am sorry. I do not like to knock anyone.
I emailed the service advisor prior to scheduling the appt, stating if they don't fix this issue, I would call the corporate Honda office and file a formal complaint.

I didn't incur any charges for the 4th visit and this time they did a thorough diagnosis. They said the one of rocker arms was loose causing the misfire, and they replaced it.

I made it clear if this doesn't fix the issue, I'm bringing the car right back and I'm not paying for any cost related to misfire going forward.
​​​​​

Old 07-29-2023, 10:09 PM

I emailed the service advisor prior to scheduling the appt, stating if they don't fix this issue, I would call the corporate Honda office and file a formal complaint.

I didn't incur any charges for the 4th visit and this time they did a thorough diagnosis. They said the one of rocker arms was loose causing the misfire, and they replaced it.

I made it clear if this doesn't fix the issue, I'm bringing the car right back and I'm not paying for any cost related to misfire going forward.
​​​​​
That will do it. Hopefully they got it right.

Old 08-02-2023, 09:23 AM

​​​​​
Thanks for the update.
Really appreciate it when people come back and tell us what happened.
It helps us and others.

Quick Reply: 2014 Honda Accord Cylinder 2 Misfire