Honda Accord Forum This popular mid sized car is offered in both a coupe and sedan, mixes performance with versatility.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

'86 Carburetor No Start: Main Relay location?

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2009, 10:55 PM
Default '86 Carburetor No Start: Main Relay location?

Hi all,
I have been trying to diagnose a no start 86 accord carburetor. I am pretty sure it is the fuel pump relay which I assume is in the main relay. I cannot locate the main relay, can anyone help me locate this or tell me that there is something different in carburetor engines. Perhaps the fuel cut off relay.

This is what I tried:
Car ran on starter fluid -> problem with gas
Don't here gas pump when ignition is on
No power at the gas pump
power and a good fuse in the fuse box.

Which leads me to either a bad electricity line to the gas tank or an issue with the fuel pump relay.

So far I have ripped apart under the drivers kick panel. couldn't find it where most sites show it should be. Didn't see anything on the passenger side either (is it tucked away behind the kick panels or something?). Found one relay in the engine bay, pass side but it doesn't say main relay on it and is a 4 pin connector not 8 pin.

Sorry for all the details. Basically this is the first big issue I have fixed on the car and so I need some knowledgeable hands.

Thanks,
Nate

Old 11-28-2009, 02:58 AM
Super Moderator

welcome to the forum. Go to hondaautomotiveparts.com and you will find the components need. Go to Autozone.com and register for free, go to repair and carb,elec fuel pump, and you will find repair info for your car.

Old 11-29-2009, 12:07 AM

Those sites didn't help as neither of them had info on relays.