Honda Accord Forum This popular mid sized car is offered in both a coupe and sedan, mixes performance with versatility.

88 Accord LXI Stalls out/ misses/ and stearing wheel shakes when brakes are pushed

Old 04-27-2009, 09:20 PM
Default 88 Accord LXI Stalls out/ misses/ and stearing wheel shakes when brakes are pushed

Ive got 88 accord lxi, 5 spd 248,000 on it runs good beside my check engine light comes on after the car warms up. Then if you shut it off and restart it then it wont come back on for bit then it comes back on. The car does not miss until it warms um and the check engine light comes on it misses and acts like its gone to stall out and sometimes it will. When it starts missing I can watch my volt gauge go up and down on the tach.
I have put new plugs and wires on it also.

What is the problem does anyone know the issue?

Now my second problem when i drive down the road and want to stop i go push the brakes and my steering will just go nuts, also you can feel it in the pedal shake. I have changed the rotors and have checked the front end to see how tight it is and there is no play on either side.

What could be the problem?

Old 04-29-2009, 04:18 AM
Super Moderator

welcome to the forum. 1st problem... normally is spark plugs are bad, but you have new wires and plugs, so nex is low compression, take a compression check. distributor may be going bad.
2nd problem. when you changed the rotors where did you get the rotors from and are you positive that the rotors are true. Also do you use your emergency brakes when you park your car? if so the brakes in the back can be square. drive the car on a smooth road and at 50mph slowly pull your hand brake and see if this causes the shake, letting the hand brake stop the car.

Old 04-29-2009, 09:24 AM

What did you mean how do I know my rotors are true? I got the rotors at auto zone. Also the rear brakes will cause the car to shake is that true?

Why does it mess and stall out is because distrubutor how can you tell if its bad? Also why would the check engine light comes on when the car warms up would distrubutor cause it to come on?

Old 04-30-2009, 03:11 AM
Super Moderator

I purchased a set of rotors from a auto parts house, good price, the front end of the accord shook every time I applied the brakes, found out the rotor was not cut properly so sent back out to cut true. Yes the rear brakes can cause the car to shake, had a 69 Super Bee by Dodge, at 65mph, I stepped on the brakes and the car shook bad enough the rear view mirror blurred. Had the front rotors trued and new pads and the same shake. While driving on a no traffice road at 65 I applied the emergency brake slowly and found the car to shake bad. Took off the drums and had them cut, the machine shop asked they were warped and did it shake your car a bit???.
hard to tell if the dist is bad, if you can take it back to the seller and ask them to test it, there is a post on this forum that the distributor was changed and did a miss and found the dist was faulty from the shop. A poor running engine will cause sensors to turn on the light, it could be something in the exhaust system or intake, or ignition system that will cause the engine light to go on. Also a low compression in a cylinder will feel like a miss fire. Check your compression before you do anything else to the distributor.