Honda Accord Forum This popular mid sized car is offered in both a coupe and sedan, mixes performance with versatility.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

89 occational rough idle in hot weather

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2008, 11:48 PM
Default 89 occational rough idle in hot weather

I have a 1989 Accord LXi , automatic w/ air. I am experiencing sudden and intermittent rough idle and rough acceleration. This only happens in the spring and summer on warm or hot days after the car has been parked outside. IE in a parking lot.

Initially the car starts and runs fine and then within a few blocks in begins to shake and idle rough at the first or second stop. I must pull over and restart the car. This may happed several times. After that the car runs fine

Occasionally the check engine light will come on and a reliable mechanic advises me the code indicates “throttle body sensor”. However the sensor tests ok. This mechanic advised it may even be a bad wire somewhere related the throttle body sensor

I recently had a problem with fueling the car that could be related. I could barley get it to take the fuel without constant splash back. I noticed a lot of vapor pressure upon removal of the gas cap. The cap is not vented and it’s the correct cap. I’m wondering if this is part of the problem like some sort of vapor release mechanism is not working under the hood. Our recent smog check indicates the catalytic converter is down to its last few years ( it did pass smog/California car)

What could be wrong? Only happens in the summer, especially when its really hot. Never happens in the winter.
This forum is 90 and newer and the other is 88 and older. What happened to help for 89's[&:]

Thanks
Mharris251