Honda Accord Forum This popular mid sized car is offered in both a coupe and sedan, mixes performance with versatility.

95 Accord starts then shuts off immediately.

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2012, 05:32 PM
Default 95 Accord starts then shuts off immediately.

I've been having some problems with my 95' Accord lately. It started one day while I was driving the car just stopped for no reason while I was on the highway. Tried starting the car again, but it wouldnt start until I let it cool down for a while. I drove it back home fine. Then the temperature started to go up rapidly when the car was idle, I found out that there was no coolant in there. So I put some water in there, drove on the highway again, no problems except I did notice my speedometer and tachometer going crazy going to zero and back while I was driving. I got back home checked the water it was empty again, and the car wouldn't start even after I let it cool down for the next day and filled it back up with water. I believe it is an ignition problem because the car starts and stays on when the key is on the III position, but as soon as I let go and it goes back to the II position it stops. I'm not sure if the two issues are related, but I would appreciate any help I can get fixing this issue because I've read that many people had the same issue but I couldn't find a fix.

Old 01-25-2012, 10:44 AM

Try and pull codes,it does sound like ignition.

Old 01-31-2012, 04:17 AM

Try replacing the main relay. My accord did the same thing and when I pulled the relay out it looked and smelt burnt. If thats not the problem try the ignition module cuz at this pt its just a guessing game.

Old 02-08-2012, 05:55 AM
Default 1994 honda accord

Hello I also had the same problem it also ended up being the main relay I would have it replaced. I think there is another relay under the drivers kick panel that will produce this problem check it that is what my mechanic had to replace.

After that my car started reving up and down this was caused by the IAC if you start having that problem there is a good write up on this site about cleaning it with brake cleaner that worked for me..