Honda Accord Forum This popular mid sized car is offered in both a coupe and sedan, mixes performance with versatility.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

96 Accord emergency help please!

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2011, 03:23 PM
Default 96 Accord emergency help please!

Hi all, thanks for the great forums, always nice to find most answers in these threads w/o asking a question.

Am currently replacing timing belt, 1996 accord standard 2.2 motor, no issues just preventative maintenance. Have worked on all my hondas/acuras and skill level is pretty good. Very meticulous and oh so slow. Everything marked, by the book.

One problem however, my atrocious penmanship. My 4's look very similiar to my 1's at different angles.

So started this the other night, knowing I need to get 1 TDC compress. stroke yadda yadda, but for some reason, failed to note the camshaft UP mark in the midst of all this. (? Duh).

However, after having the damper white mark at the v-notch, and seeing the #1 piston at the top of chamber, and noting the rotor pointed towards my mark of #1 on dist. cap, and with a pin inserted into balancer hole in rear of engine, and white paint marker match marks on sprockets vs. belts, proceeded with tear down. (not noting the camshaft UP was 180 out). You can see where this is heading.

Now I have everything off and am putting water pump in, when I see the UP mark facing down. Red flag warning. I consult my tons of pics taken prior to, and double check the wiring and figure out that had mistake my 4, for the 1 on the cap. In essence, it appears to be 180 out, nothing disturbed since initial breakdown.

I transfered my white marks on old belt, on to new belt, which will match onto the sprockets so it goes back exact same as old one.

So the question is, does it really matter if I'm doing this on 4 TDC? I was able to get the "holder bolt" in 74 mm into the balancer access hole at rear of engine, the other sprockets all appear to be pointed at their proper spots, the camshaft sprocket notches are aligned with the head, the damper TDC mark is where it's supposed to be. I don't see any issue here, but will go through a couple engine rotations by hand prior to start up to ensure nothing is in a bind. Thoughts anyone??? Next thing on list is penmanship classes lol. Thanks!

Mark.

Old 10-03-2011, 07:40 PM

If you have moved nothing after removing the timing belt and move nothing when installing the timing belt, you'll be just fine. But, the balancing shafts move with the crankshaft, so if you moved them to insert your holder bolt, you moved the crank as well

Old 11-02-2011, 07:18 AM

Any update on your problem?