Honda Accord Forum This popular mid sized car is offered in both a coupe and sedan, mixes performance with versatility.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

96 Accord - interesting problem, Help

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2013, 07:52 PM
Question 96 Accord - interesting problem, Help

very confused

I replaced the head gasket on my 1996 Accord with a Vtec. Now, the engine only runs if my code reader is plugged into the car. If it is pull out, then, the engine dies. I did confirm that it is not a fuel problem.

I recheck all the connectors and they are all plugged in. I also swapped out the computer module from another 96 Accord. The engine still only runs when the code reader is plugged into the car.

Other information: There are no codes set. When the engine is running (with the code reader plugged in) there is some missing at certain RPMs levels. Also, the tachometer runs smoothly at first them starts to jump around a little when I accelerate the engine.

Any ideas? Can someone tell me what should I focus on next or what tests should I do?

Thanks in advanced for any help.

https://hondaforum.com/forum/images/...s/confused.gif

Last edited by FriendshipUSA; 09-22-2013 at 07:54 PM. Reason: typo
Old 09-26-2013, 08:58 AM
Super Moderator

welcome to the fourm. Did you bleed the air out of your water system.

Old 09-27-2013, 08:10 AM

Originally Posted by acmech52
welcome to the fourm. Did you bleed the air out of your water system.
Thanks for the input.

I just did the test. I opened the air bleed that was on the intake manifold and antifreeze squired out from it.

Other findings: The car with the scan reader plugged runs well at idle. However if I attempt to drive it the engine it starts to beak down (it missing under load).

https://hondaforum.com/forum/images/...s/confused.gif