Honda Accord Forum This popular mid sized car is offered in both a coupe and sedan, mixes performance with versatility.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

99 accord 2.3

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2018, 01:57 AM
Default 99 accord 2.3

since I bought this car it has and odd noise while accelerating ,kind of sounds like an exhaust leak or maybe a large vaccum leak, I took it to a local garage with a good reputation and they say it's just the way the car sounds while driving..that there is no sign of bearing , tire or trans problems , that it is just the way the exhaust sounds,,it's somewhat annoying to me but if that's the way the car sounds then so be it...any info you guys can add ? do these 2.3 sound that way I can hear it real good inside the car ,not so much on the outside

Old 10-12-2018, 04:35 AM
Super Moderator

you can do a blow by test, jack the car up enough for you to be able to use a creeper and roll around under the car. get a high volume vaccum cleaner exhaust side and hook it up to the exhaust tail pipe and you can see if you have any type of leak. then while you are under the car, feel for any loose metal shroud around the cat or muffler area, also the attach areas for looseness. also check your cv joints and half shafts for security. you can get a spray bottle with a little soapy water and shoot all the exhaust connections and see if any amount of bubbles form. if your cat interior has come apart you may hear loose light rattling or has blown out = louder exhaust sound or hissing sound.

Old 10-14-2018, 03:28 AM

well I checked and double checked the exhaust ..sure doesn't seem like its an exhaust leak maybe I can better describe the sound, have you ever left the oil fill cap off or maybe the pcv valve unplugged while running the engine ?... if you know that sound then that's pretty much it...ive been all over the engine and can't find anything unplugged ,any lines split or cracked...very frustrating for sure ,maybe the answer is to just turn the radio up a little more lol

Old 10-14-2018, 10:54 PM
Super Moderator

yes i've experienced oil fill and pvc vlv off sounds, not what i would like to hear. if you get a chance, get your self from an auto shop a stethiscope (sp) you can put it to any part of the engine and listen for the sound like a doctor listens to your heart and lungs, hope you may find the noise. watch for the belt and fan!!.,

Old 10-15-2018, 08:49 AM

if it is some kind of vacuum leak, you can try what I do...trust me it is somewhat safe.
get a small camp fire propane torch and turn it on with out lighting it.
wile the car is started point it at the vacuum lines and if the car revs up a little there is the location of the vacuum leak. if that is what it is, a vacuum leak.