Honda Accord Forum This popular mid sized car is offered in both a coupe and sedan, mixes performance with versatility.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Car will not start after throttle body cleaning

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2009, 06:46 AM
Default Car will not start after throttle body cleaning

My dad is having some problems when workin on my fiancee's car. Here is his message:

Hello everybody. I have a 1999 Accord Lx ulev vtech 4 cyl. 120k+. The car was stalling and hesitating so I sprayed carb cleaner into the throttle body. While that was sitting I checked the cap and rotor and ended up replacing the cap, rotor, air filter, and pcv. The car will no longer start. I tried several times and let it sit for a whole day. I took the plugs out and saw they were fouled. Cleaned them with brake cleaner. Still no start. I have to clean the plugs at each attempt to start. They are coated in wet black carbon (not oil) but it is hard to tell if it smells like gas. I rechecked the firing order 5 times, tried starter fluid, even loosend the fuel line. Gas is flowing and I do have spark. It seems to come so close to starting then you get a slight backfire from the tb opening. Even tried the old cap and rotor, and new plugs. Got tired of cleaning the old ones. any ideas?

Ps. This is now day 3. Something else must have gone wrong, help!

Old 02-24-2009, 12:56 PM
Super Moderator

was advised that you should not spray carb cleaner into the induction system, it will flood out your engine, depending on how much you sprayed. if there is any way to clear out that carb cleaner it should start if all else is connected.

Old 02-25-2009, 12:27 AM

Took car to the dealer and the service rep told me the throttle body is sticking and it would cost $90 to do a "induction service." Would like a second opinion and possible cheaper Do-it-yourself alternatives. And I also agree with acmech that "you should not spray carb cleaner into the induction system".

Old 02-26-2009, 08:43 PM

If they can guarantee that it will solve the problem I would go with. What throttle body service do they use? My shop uses the BG throttle body service and it works awesome. Cleans out whole induction system and top end of engine. Customers claim to see their gas mileage come back up. $90 is about what we charge for it that.