Honda Accord Forum This popular mid sized car is offered in both a coupe and sedan, mixes performance with versatility.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Clutch Replacement

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2013, 05:33 AM
Default Clutch Replacement

I have a 1998 honda accord ex 4 cylinder coupe with 155,000 miles on it. I had a guy replace the clutch last weekend, clutch, throw-out bearing and pressure plate(99.00 clutch kit from autozone) Prior to this work, I have never had a problem with the car until clutch starting slipping, other than check engine light on because o2 sensor. I had him replace the clutch and sensor. Now for my problems.
1.car has never ran hot. The gauge was always hovered around 1/4', never seen it near 50%. Now it runs about 75-90%, but has not overheated. Doesn't even seem to really be hot, sorta like gauge is faulty now.
2. Car now shutters when stress is put on it. Like starting off, it shutters until I get to a steady speed, does this all the time until I get to steady speed.
3. It has developed a small leak under right front, seems to be motor oil.

Like I said, prior to this repair, only had clutch slippage and bad o2sensor. I think paying 350.00 labor was fair price for repair, honda dealership wanted 1200 for the repair, which is probably 50 percent of what the car is worth.

He is saying that what he did could in no way affect the temperature of the car and has nothing to do with the oil leak, even though I had none of these problems prior to him working on it. I would appreciate any advice anyone could give me. Thanks in advance.

Old 06-12-2013, 04:32 AM
Super Moderator

welcome to the forum. replacing the clutch and throw out bearing does not affect the radiator or any lines, nor does the water need to be drained or replaced. your thermostate may be sticking. the shutter could be that the flywheel was not dressed out/cut also there may have been some greese/oil (dirty fingers) put on the clutch plate. And for the oil leak, there is no oil line or passage that is touched with the trans coming apart for a clutch job. oil might be the trans fluid. clean it and see if you can see what oil is leaking. engine or trans. It is possible The sensor changed may affect how the engine temp runs.

Old 06-24-2013, 04:06 AM

I thinks you go to two or three garages to get an estimate to make sure you are not getting ripped off. That said the guy who is replacing the clutch on your car has a skill so will NOT be working for the minimum wage.
What Can You Do With Your Old Car?

Last edited by Dhola Sajan; 12-20-2013 at 01:07 AM.