Honda Accord Forum This popular mid sized car is offered in both a coupe and sedan, mixes performance with versatility.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

License plate holes

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2017, 08:16 PM
Default License plate holes

My son recently purchased a 2000 Honda Accord. There were two posts for license plate screws, but each one had a screw rusted tight to the hole. The heads snapped off of both screws when trying to extract them. I drilled both of them out, tapped new threads in one of them, and then managed to snap the tap off in the other hole. Good times. I've tried drilling out the tap, and have gotten absolutely nowhere.

Trying to figure out how to get the license plate secured with more than just one screw now. There are two bumps at the bottom of the license plate section, but they don't have holes in them. See the attached picture. Is the material where those bumps are thick/sturdy enough to put threads in for a screw? If not, what else can I do to secure the license plate?
Save

Attached Thumbnails License plate holes-honda_license_plate.jpg  
Old 06-08-2017, 02:54 AM
Super Moderator

welcome to the forum. an alternative would be to get magnetic strips and glue to the back of the licenses plate and stick it on the back. the two bumps on the bottom is thin metal like the car. still needs a insert for the screw to screw into like the top.

Old 06-16-2017, 02:26 PM

Originally Posted by acmech52
welcome to the forum. an alternative would be to get magnetic strips and glue to the back of the licenses plate and stick it on the back. the two bumps on the bottom is thin metal like the car. still needs a insert for the screw to screw into like the top.
Thank you, achmech52! I glued two magnets to the back of the license plate, right where they would match up with the two lower bumps. The plate is now nicely secured.