Honda Accord Forum This popular mid sized car is offered in both a coupe and sedan, mixes performance with versatility.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Myriad of problems with my new '92 Honda Accord

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2013, 11:38 PM
Question Myriad of problems with my new '92 Honda Accord

So I bought my first Honda--a 1992 Accord EX. I love that I have a Honda (even though it's an automatic) but it seems to have a few problems. Does anyone know how to fix these and how costly it would be? I'm obviously new to this, my old car was an '81 Subaru GL which was actually in pretty good shape.

Here's the list of problems...
  • Driver's side door lock
  • Can only be locked with key ( can not push button down and then close door)
  • motorized locks do not unlock any doors
  • Side mirror motors
  • Left side is stuck and only moves to the right
  • Right side does not work
  • A/C
  • Air conditioning buttons light up but hot air only comes out
  • Cigarette lighter
  • Does not work at all
  • Windows
  • Rear driver's side does not roll all the way up
  • Driver's side and passengers side windows very slow (motors running out?)
  • Windshield wiper fluid dispensers don't work
  • ABS light on
  • Brake lamp on
  • All lights work
  • Reverse lights
  • Sometimes they work, sometimes they don't

If anyone can help, it'd be greatly appreciated, Thanks!!

Old 09-26-2013, 08:43 AM
Super Moderator

welcome to the forum. 1st thing you need is a good used 92 honda shop service manual from amazon.com, or ebay.com. ( Don't get one from the auto parts place. ) if you cannot afford one, go to the Library and see if they might have one.
Hope you are mechanically minded and can figure some of these repairs as we try to assist. Drivers side door lock check to see the condition of the locking unit in the arm rest , may be dirty or water soaked and see if there is power to the lock unit and power going to the door lock solinoid below. side mirror- need to see if your mechanical arms are good to the back of the mirror, if it works one way sometimes the mechanical attatch is damaged, also check your switch to see if you have contact and power coming out to the mechanical part. right side see if the motor part has power to move it at all. a/c check to see if you have freon in the system you may need to get a pressure guage to check this and most of the time there is a leak. if there is pressure and freon in the system, the hi-low pressure switch does go out. cigarette lighter check to see if there is power to the back side of the lighter, if not check the fuse and see if you can get pwr to the back of the lighter, if there is pwr at the back of the lighter then change the lighter element. rear driver window, take the door interiro panel apart and check the motor that cranks the window up and down, also the crank mechanism. and yes the window cranks may need lube to allow the movement to be better, also the motors could be getting weak electrically. windshield despenser, check to see if you have power to the washer motor to pump the water up the line. if there is power, the motor could have died. if no power, check the fuse for the washer motor. abs light on, check the brake master fluid, and filter. if appears dirty get a turkey baster and change the fluid. also a low fluid level may cause the light to go on. reverse light check the switch in the center council if you plan to keep this car and do all the work, get the manual first and go through it. it will help you fix almost everyone of your writeups. Wow you got a lot on your plate to do...