Honda Accord Forum This popular mid sized car is offered in both a coupe and sedan, mixes performance with versatility.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New safety ratings?

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2011, 10:55 PM
Default New safety ratings?

Hello,
I am new to the forum.

I have been researching small SUVs and sedans, hoping to buy one soon. I am primarily concerned with safety. I know that Honda Accord 2011 has new NHTSA ratings, all 5 stars for front and rear seats.

However, for 2010, for the rear seats, the rating was only 3. As far as I know, 2011 is essentially the same model. Can someone please explain how 2011 gets a significantly higher rating (from 3 to 5) for side rear seat crashes? Most models got their ratings lowered.

(The other vehicle I am considering is CR-V.)

Old 05-03-2011, 06:26 AM

Hey...not really sure about the reasons for the ratings...but considering the CR-V is not a bad idea at all....I know a couple of people who picked up CR-Vs recently and are supremely happy with their buy!...The inside is so spacious it's like a room!...great car...

Old 05-03-2011, 04:20 PM

Thanks, ChaseMark!

I called Honda, and they couldn't answer my question. I am trying to get some answers from NHTSA, but so far I have not heard back from them. I hope they will respond.

I test-drove the CR-V. It is certainly not a bad vehicle, and it handles very well! My concern is about rear-crash safety in these small crossovers. I really don't know how much of a back crumple zone they have (from what I see, it doesn't look like a big area). I will often have rear passengers.

If anyone can comment on the rear safety of the CR-V, I'll appreciate it, too. I have seen the official ratings, of course, but they are about seat geometry actually.

Old 05-04-2011, 03:47 AM

Are you thinking of getting a third row of seats installed as well?...anyway...couldn't really find out too much about rear safety though...I know they scored really well for their front and side crashes...sorry if I'm not much help with this...Wish you luck in figuring it out!

Old 05-04-2011, 01:42 PM

Could have added side air bags or added more side impact protection.

Old 05-04-2011, 07:08 PM

I would never put a 3rd row in a CR-V (I don't think it is safe in a Toyota RAV, either).

From what I understand by researching this on my own and from speaking with Honda, if any changes were made, they were purely cosmetic and not structural. They have the same curtain air bags for the rear seats as did in 2010. It simply doesn't make a lot of sense.

I found the whole thing discouraging. This type of information should be easy to find out, and Honda should be willing to discuss it.

BTW, the IIHS tests for Honda Accord are the same for years 2008-2011.

Thank you to all who responded!

Old 05-05-2011, 06:03 AM

Well they wouldn't claim it wasn't safe...but you're right about them having to make info more readily available...and thanks for bringing the IIHS tests thing to my attention...that's pretty fishy...