Honda Accord Forum This popular mid sized car is offered in both a coupe and sedan, mixes performance with versatility.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Newby with Transmission Trouble

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2009, 04:42 PM
Default Newby with Transmission Trouble

Hey guys,

I have a 1999 Honda Accord 4dr DX with about 110,000 miles on it that I've had since 2001. About 2 years ago, I started experiences transmission trouble and the guy said that it was going bad. At the time I was figuring I'd just hold onto the car and buy a new one when it gives out. It lasted and drove fine up until today!

I was on the local highway here accelarating and felt a slight jerk between 40-45mph but that was usual because that's where my transmission has issues, the shift between 40-45mph. Well, I was slowing down to pay a toll and then started back driving again and then the gears were stuck for a while then shifted. For example...I'd drive and get to 15mph and usually feel a shift into the next gear, however, it'd get stuck and rev up to 5k RPM and then hard shift. It would do this until I got past 40mph.

Then I was slowing down again and this time the car wouldn't down shift right. I reached my destination and parked. 2 hours later I got back to my car and worried how bad it'd drive (I had to atleast hope the car would take me home!!!) So I started driving and drove relatively light and the car rode fine and shifter normally. I even slowed down fine. Then I got on the highway and got up to 80mph and stayed at a constant speed. Slowed down to pay a toll...again, no issues. Continued back up again and stayed at a constant speed. Didn't have issues until I got to the off ramp off the highway onto a local street. Here is where things went crazy. I slow down and it'd hard shift down. I started up from a stop and it'd get stuck at each gear and hard shift.....but eventually it wouldn't even shift past 40mph. I'd get up to 40mph and the car would just rev 5 or 6k RPM and not shift! I get home and check the transmission fluid and it's a brown color but doesn't appear to be low. I've known I needed to change to fluid but I've also heard that changing the transmission fluid on a car that has never had it changed before would just make the transmission worse. I was thinking about adding Lucas transmission fix to hopefully resolve it, anybody have experience with this?

I know it's a quick fix, but I'm actually looking at getting a new car this summer, just hoping to last that long. I typically don't do a lot of highway driving anyway.

Last edited by unknwnwh; 02-03-2009 at 04:44 PM.
Old 02-13-2009, 08:49 AM

try changing the filter and fluid but i heard that that year has bad trannys but thats just hear say

Old 02-14-2009, 11:28 PM

i would change the fluid and then add a lucus tranny additive and see what happens

Old 02-25-2009, 11:55 AM

change your fluid change your fluid change your fluid american cars it may be too late and they do advise to not change it if you have waited too long, i am a honda service advisor change your fluid!!!!!! it is not to late and what do you have to lose the trany is going south fast. do not use a flush system that sends a cleaner through first it is going to break loose gobs of crap and they will get lodged in various areas of your tranny but CHANGE THE FLUID!!!!!